LINGUIST List 24.1304|
Sat Mar 16 2013
Summer Schools: The 11th annual NY-St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and Culture (NYI-XI)/ St. Petersburg, Russia
Editor for this issue: Caylen Cole-Hazel
From: John Frederick Bailyn <john.bailynstonybrook.edu>
Subject: The 11th annual NY-St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and Culture (NYI-XI)/ St. Petersburg, Russia
E-mail this message to a friend
The 11th annual NY-St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and Culture (NYI-XI)/ St. Petersburg, Russia
Host Institution: St. Petersburg State University
Coordinating Institution: Stony Brook University
Dates: 15-Jul-2013 - 02-Aug-2013
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia
Focus: The 11th annual NY-St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and
Culture (NYI-XI) is an interdisciplinary institute focusing on generative linguistics,
cognitive psychology, philosophy of language and culture/media studies. NYI is
open to advanced undergraduate and graduate students from all backgrounds and
countries interested in comparative and formal approaches to theoretical linguistics
and cognition as well as cultural and media studies.
Minimum Education Level: Undergraduate
Advanced undergraduates and graduate students have priority.
Participants create their own study program from seminars in the following
- Generative Linguistics;
- Philosophy of Mind/Language
- Cognitive Psychology
- Critical Cultural and Comparative Media Studies
***************2013 Linguistics/Cognitive Studies Faculty*********************
- John F. Bailyn (Stony Brook University)
- Rajesh Bhatt, (UMass Amherst)
- Janet Dean Fodor (CUNY Graduate Center)
- Jerry Fodor (Rutgers)
- Caroline Heycock (University of Edinburg)
- Sabine Iatridou (MIT)
- Jaye Padgett (Santa Cruz)
- Roumyana Pancheva (USC)
- Sergei Tatevosov (Moscow State University)
For information on our Cultural and Media Studies faculty, please go to http://www.nyi.spb.ru/faculty.
For our Cultural and Media Studies seminars, please visit: http://www.nyi.spb.ru/seminars.
- Implicit Arguments (Bhatt & Pancheva)
- Introduction to Language Learnabilty Theory (Janet Fodor)
- The Nature of Concepts (Jerry Fodor)
- Seminar in Syntax: "Being Syntactic" (Heycock)
- Generative Syntax: An Advanced Introduction (Iatridou)
- Explaining Phonology (Padgett)
- The Syntax of Conditionals (Bhatt, Iatridou, Pancheva)
- Introduction to Formal Semantics (Tatevosov)
- Facets of Slavic Aspect (Tatevosov, Pancheva, Iatridou)
Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics
Some mini-grants are available to offset travel costs.
Financial Aid Instructions:
Inquire at time of application.
Registration: 10-Apr-2013 to 31-May-2013
Contact Person: John Frederick Bailyn
Apply on the web: http://nyi.spb.ru/application
Early application deadline for all students: April 10, 2013 ($50 fee reduction).
Application Deadline for students needing visas: May 17. Deadline for students not needing visas: May 31 (if spaces remain).
Final application deadline for all students (if spaces remain): May 15, 2013.
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 16-Mar-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.