LINGUIST List 24.1514|
Wed Apr 03 2013
Jobs: English; French; Lang Acq: Post Doc, The Johns Hopkins University
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Barbara Fisher <fishercogsci.jhu.edu>
Subject: English; French; Language Acquisition: Post Doc, The Johns Hopkins University, Paris, France
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The Johns Hopkins University
Job Location: Paris, France
Web Address: http://lpp.psycho.univ-paris5.fr/speech.php
Job Rank: Post Doc
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Department of Cognitive Science at Johns Hopkins University invites applications for a one-year (renewable for a second year) postdoctoral fellowship for an NSF-funded research grant on the early acquisition of morpho-syntax. The position is affiliated with the JHU Language Acquisition Lab (see department) but the post-doc fellow will be based in Paris and will be primarily involved in carrying out experimental research on French (see department URL).
- Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g. linguistics, psychology, cognitive science, speech & hearing), completed prior to appointment date (Sept. 1, 2013).
- Native-like competence in both English and French (these skills will be assessed at interview); familiarity with Spanish and/or Haitian Creole a plus.
- Solid background in syntax, phonology, and comparative linguistics.
-Training in relevant experimental methodologies (incl. preferential looking, TOBII eye-tracking, and head-turn preference) as well as statistics.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- participate in planning, designing, and conducting research under the direction of the co-PIs (JHU/Brooklyn College/LPP Paris);
- Analyze research data and provide interpretations;
- Contribute to the development of research documentation for publication and the writing of research articles. Opportunities to engage in teaching activities may be available in Paris.
Please submit the following documents electronically via application email:
- A one-page cover letter summarizing your qualifications for the position.
- A CV highlighting your education, training, employment, and any publications and/or presentations relevant to the acquisition of morpho-syntax.
- Writing samples in English and French (the latter can be a statement of research written in French, one page maximum).
- Two letters of recommendations from researchers familiar with the candidate’s research.
We will begin reviewing complete applications immediately. This position carries an annual salary of $38,000 and a conference travel allowance.
The Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to
recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students. All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.
Contact Information: Geraldine Legendre, Director, Language Acquisition Lab (See contact email address below).
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: langacqpostdoccogsci.jhu.edu
Administrative Assistant Barbara Fisher
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 03-Apr-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.