LINGUIST List 24.1753|
Fri Apr 19 2013
Jobs: Modified: Multiple Languages; English Ling; Text/Corpus Ling; Translation: PhD Student, University of Zurich
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Marianne Hundt <mhundtes.uzh.ch>
Subject: Modified: Multiple Languages; English Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Translation: PhD Student, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Zurich
Job Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Web Address: http://www.es.uzh.ch
Job Rank: PhD Student in English Linguistics
Specialty Areas: Text/Corpus Linguistics; Translation
Required Language(s): English (eng)
**Please note the modifications to the job rank and the contact information.
The English Department at the University of Zurich is looking for a PhD student in English Linguistics to work in a joint project with the Institute of Computational Linguistics on 'Large-Scale Annotation and Alignment of Parallel Corpora for the Investigation of Linguistic Variation'. The project aims at annotating and aligning multi-lingual parallel corpora (English, German, French, Spanish, Russian and Finnish), which will be used to study variable article use in English and German. Funding is available for a period of three years and may be extended.
- Master in English Linguistics
- previous experience with corpus linguistics and statistics
- Languages: excellent English skills, good German skills (ideally, also basic skills in one of the other languages)
- Develop a methodology to retrieve information on variable article use (including zero articles) for English and German from the parallel corpora.
- Multi-factorial modelling of variable article use in English and German (zero articles in English, in particular).
- Evaluate the usefulness of the corpus-driven approach to the modelling of cross-linguistically relevant notions such as ’definiteness’ (extend to typologically different language pairs).
- Salary according to the Swiss National Science Foundation rates (i.e. 42,000 CHF - 48,000 CHF per annum)
- Support for conference and summer school attendance
- Small and enthusiastic team
- High standard of living in Zurich, one of the most attractive European cities.
Proposed starting date: 01-August-2013
Applications (including a CV and academic record) should be sent to Prof. Dr. Marianne Hundt. See contact email.
Application Deadline: 31-May-2013
Email Address for Applications: mhundtes.uzh.ch
Professor Dr. Marianne Hundt
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 19-Apr-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.