LINGUIST List 24.2422|
Thu Jun 13 2013
Jobs: Multiple Languages; Applied Ling: Instructor, American Public University System
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Human Resources <noemailsjobelephant.com>
Subject: Multiple Languages; Applied Linguistics: Instructor, American Public University System, West Virginia, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: American Public University System
Job Location: West Virginia, USA
Web Address: http://www.apus.edu
Job Rank: Instructor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
Online Adjunct Faculty - Foreign Language Instructors for Hebrew, Arabic, Dari (Farsi, Pashto), Turkish, and Urdu.
Synopsis of Role:
Adjunct and full-time teaching faculty share our commitment to learning, teaching, interaction with students and faculty, service to our communities of practice, and scholarship. They are united by the common goal of inspiring academic excellence in students with a broad range of interests and experiences consistent with the Community of Inquiry Framework as adopted by APUS for cognitive presence, teaching presence, and social presence. They are key to creating a rewarding online learning experience for students by engaging them, challenging them, and supporting them. They contribute to and participate in a range of activities related to effectiveness and excellence in teaching and student retention. Faculty members remain aware of discipline content intent for the courses they teach. They follow APUS guidelines, processes, and methods and are responsive to mentoring and coaching.
Academic Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Teaching excellence
* Deliver online lessons to undergraduate and/or graduate students.
* Initiate, facilitate, interact and moderate online classroom forums.
* Be a faculty leader in your classes embracing fully the Community of Inquiry Framework of Teaching Presence, Cognitive Presence, and Social Presence.
* Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers within the timeframe set forth by APUS policy providing effective feedback to guide student learning and success.
* Comply with APUS guidelines and expectations for quality faculty engagement online.
* Engage in the classroom and reply to emails, etc. at least every other day, including one day during the weekend.
* Remain aware of classroom procedures and use of instructional materials.
* Participate in professional development to enhance teaching skills.
• Attend discipline specific and administrative meetings as scheduled.
• Maintain ‘discipline’ knowledge by participating in one’s own discipline-related professional communities.
• Support APUS initiatives and departments.
- Master's degree in the study of Language, Literature and/or Linguistics, or a related field from a regionally accredited institution is required; Master's degree in other fields may be considered.
- Proficient in English and at least one of the languages listed above is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs required.
- Online teaching experience is required.
- College-level teaching experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with the Rosetta Stone Language Learning System is required.
Preferred Areas of Expertise and Experience:
- Proficiency in other languages is a plus
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Sitting, extensive use of keyboard
Note: Degrees from non-U.S. universities must be reviewed and certified by an independent agency at the applicant’s expense.
To Apply: http://apptrkr.com/349143
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://apptrkr.com/349143
Human resources Human Resources
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 13-Jun-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.