LINGUIST List 24.2518|
Thu Jun 20 2013
Jobs: Applied Ling: Language Testing Specialist, Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)
Editor for this issue: Caylen Cole-Hazel
From: Don Oben <dobencal.org>
Subject: Applied Linguistics: Language Testing Specialist, Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL), District of Columbia, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)
Job Location: District of Columbia, USA
Web Address: http://www.cal.org
Job Rank: Language Testing Specialist
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
CAL Classification: Technical Specialist
Program Area: PreK-12 English Language Learner (ELL) Assessment
Salary: $47,800 - $52,000
Hours Per Week: 35 hrs/wk (full time)
Position Available: Immediately
Description of Duties:
Develop test items for a large-scale academic English language proficiency
assessment for kindergarten and first grade ELLs, with a special focus on
innovative computer-based test development.
- Write, review and evaluate test materials and documents for kindergarten and
first grade, including providing feedback to team members on test item
- Write and revise test item specifications
- Write and refine graphics descriptions to support student comprehension in
- Review graphics for content accuracy and grade-level appropriateness
- Develop prototypes of test items for computer delivery
- Conduct defined research in support of computer-based English language
proficiency test development including conducting cognitive lab interviews and
- Prepare and maintain files and records (summary reports, electronic notes,
- Maintain test item database
- Organize and execute answer key checks
- Coordinate internal and external reviews
- Coordinate item development tasks of external consultants to ensure timely
delivery of test items
- Communicate and collaborate within and across teams throughout the test
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and five years of related experience or
Master’s degree with two years of related experience are required.
- Successful candidate will have experience working with kindergarten and/or
1st grade ELLs and a commitment to improving education. Experience teaching
academic content and/or English as a second language for early elementary
students in U.S. public or private schools is preferred. Experience developing
tests (especially computer-based tests or language tests) is desirable.
Familiarity with ACCESS for ELLs® also desirable.
- The preferred candidate will be a self-motivated self-starter with the
ability to work independently as well as cooperatively in a fast-paced team
environment. Excellent skills in the following areas are highly desirable:
organization, planning, and time management; oral and interpersonal
communication; writing, editing, and proofreading; and knowledge of InDesign
and Microsoft Office software.
If interested send resume and cover letter to the application address, or mail
electronically to the application email.
CAL offers a comfortable work environment with competitive compensation and an
excellent benefits package. We are conveniently located two blocks from the
Tenleytown/AU Metro Station on the Red Line.
The Center for Applied Linguistics is an equal opportunity employer and does
not discriminate in hiring or employment based upon race, color, religion,
national origin, sex, age, marital status, handicap, or any other reason not
related to employment.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, all successful applicants will be
required to show proof of their legal right to accept employment in the United
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
ATTN Human Resources Coordinator Recruitment 13-15
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
, DC 20016-1859
Email Address for Applications: jobscal.org
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 20-Jun-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.