LINGUIST List 24.2836|
Fri Jul 12 2013
Jobs: Russian; Applied Ling; Lexicography: Consultant, TEEMA Solutions Group
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Aaron Brown <abrownteemagroup.com>
Subject: Russian; Applied Linguistics; Lexicography: Consultant, TEEMA Solutions Group, California, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: TEEMA Solutions Group
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.teemagroup.com
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Lexicography
Required Language(s): Russian (rus)
Title: Linguist - Russian Specialist
Duration: 9 months
Hourly rate: $25/hr
We are working with a high profile client in the Interactive Media space that develops Interactive games for children and is expanding their platform to Russia. This client is known worldwide.
The linguist will participate in language research and development, particularly related to language data processing with the intent of providing maximum expressivity while maintaining safety.
- Executing large scale language data review and annotation
- Provide linguistic resources such as grammars and lexica.
- Review vocabulary lexical and phonological properties and template structure for optimal product performance
- Assist with quality testing of annotations, templates, other data and provide feedback.
- College degree in language, linguistics, ESL/TESOL/TESL, or teaching is highly preferred. While translation, interpretation, or transcription experience may be useful, please note that this is NOT a translation/interpretation position.
- Expert knowledge of Russian, formal grammar as well as current language trends (slang, idiomatic expressions) and pop culture. Knowledge of grammar is critical. The person must know major parts of speech and be familiar with the nuances of the language. If the language has a rich case or agreement system, he/she must know how it works etc.
- Ability to understand the Russian standard dialect as well as regional varieties
- Ability to recognize innuendo, double entendres, and other language nuances
- Expert knowledge of cultures associated with Russian
- Strong background in Phonetics, Phonology, Morphology, Syntax and Semantics
- Possess technical automated information system skills, such as word
processing and data entry, to be used in conjunction with written/oral
reports, the ability to use language software programs, and
the ability to participate in large scale language data processing.
- Ability to quickly scan and process a large amount of material
in a target language for critical and essential elements of
- Attention to detail and ability to closely follow instructions.
Solid research skills
Candidates with one or more of the following additional qualifications will be most competitive:
- Experience in linguistic annotation
- Exposure to child language acquisition processes
- Knowledge of grammar formalisms
- Experience participating in and moderating online communities
- Familiarity with the standards of language safety for online chat.
- Knowledge of general social networking and web services (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, chat rooms, wikis, Habbo, Urban dictionary)
Please provide a resume and detailed cover letter as to how you meet the requirements above.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: abrownteemagroup.com
Talent Manager Aaron Brown
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 12-Jul-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.