LINGUIST List 24.2867|
Mon Jul 15 2013
Jobs: Cebuano; Lexicography; Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Appen Butler Hill
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Shannon Presley <spresleyappenbutlerhill.com>
Subject: Cebuano; Lexicography; Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Appen Butler Hill
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Appen Butler Hill
Job Location: ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://appenbutlerhill.com
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: Lexicography; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): Cebuano (ceb)
The work will involve assisting in the creation of the Lexicon component of a
Speech Database (SDB) in Cebuano, as spoken in The Philippines.
A Lexicon is an electronic pronunciation dictionary (in text format)
consisting of phonetic representations of all words transcribed from audio
files in a SDB. The lexicons also include syllable boundaries and stress or
tone mark-up. They also usually include variant pronunciations, dialectal or
regional variation and can include additional labeling indicating ‘foreign
word’, ‘Proper Name’, ‘acronym’, ‘homonym’, etc.
The work will also involve creating documents to describe the language for the
purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of
any spelling standardization or dialectal variation issues in the language.
The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting
transcriptions of words in phonetic script. Training in ABH processes will be
- Location: Remote, Global
- Hours: Requires a commitment of approximately 10 hours per week, depending
on the tasks required. Please note that the work may be sporadic at times but
we will do our best to give you fair warning of any changes to the workflow
- Length of assignment: We expect that the work will commence within the next
month (July-August 2013), be ongoing for the next 6-12 months.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a background in linguistics and a familiarity with Cebuano at the
level of a fluent native speaker.
- Specific linguistic background should be geared towards phonetics and
phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Must be able to read and write Cebuano.
- Must be able to type the Cebuano alphabet into Firefox web browsers.
- Must be able to make decisions on spelling (with the assistance of another
- Must have good typing and computer skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Masters or PhD in Linguistics
- Specialty in Phonetics or Phonology
- Experience with correcting phonetic transcriptions for speech technology
- Coding skills for Computational Linguistics.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BUTLERHILL&cws=4&rid=603
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 15-Jul-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.