LINGUIST List 24.2983|
Tue Jul 23 2013
Jobs: General Linguistics: Associate Professor, Nagoya University
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Edward Haig <haiglang.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
Subject: General Linguistics: Associate Professor, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Nagoya University
Department: Graduate School of Languages and Cultures
Job Location: Nagoya, Japan
Web Address: http://www.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/
Job Rank: Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
The Graduate School of Languages and Cultures, Nagoya University, Japan, announces an opening for an associate professor, term limited, from April 1, 2014. This position entails instruction at both the graduate and the undergraduate levels.
1. The ideal applicant should:
(1) be a native speaker of English.
(2) have a Ph.D.
(3) have a specialization in linguistics or applied linguistics.
(4) have a professional interest in teaching English as a foreign language.
(5) have had at least one paper published in a refereed journal in the applicant’s area of specialization.
2. The official status of the position will be a term-limited associate professorship. The position will entail a teaching load of one 90-minute graduate class and approximately seven 90-minute English classes for undergraduate students per week. The position also involves participating in all aspects of the production and marking of the English Language component of the entrance examinations for Nagoya University (undergraduate programs), and for the Graduate School of Languages and Cultures.
3. Term of Employment: Five years, non-renewable.
4. Remuneration will be approximately five to nine million yen per annum (including bonuses) before tax depending on age, qualifications and experience. If the selected applicant is from overseas, the cost of his/her airfare to Japan will be reimbursed by the university.
5. Applicants are requested to send the documents listed below by September 12, 2013:
(1) Curriculum vitae (including date of birth)
(2) Recent photograph
(3) List of publications
(4) Three published works and their abstracts (photocopies are acceptable).
(5) Statement of Intent concerning your application for this post. This should include your philosophy regarding English education at university level.
(6) Two personal references (written within the last six months).
Application documents must be sent by registered post. Please mark the application envelope “Associate Professor Position Application Enclosed”
6. In addition to the above documents, final candidates will be asked to provide a health certificate. Therefore, please be prepared to submit one at short notice.
7. The final decision will be made following a personal interview and a short presentation. These may be conducted via Skype in the case of overseas applicants.
1. In Japan, the academic year begins in April and ends in March.
2. The application documents, including submitted publications, will not normally be returned.
3. Nagoya University is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Deadline: 12-Sep-2013
Mailing Address for Applications:
Professor Edward Haig
The Graduate School of Languages and Cultures,
Professor Edward Haig
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 23-Jul-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.