LINGUIST List 24.3264|
Tue Aug 13 2013
Jobs: Applied Ling; Disc Analysis; Socioling: Researcher, The FrameWorks institute
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Abigail Haydon <ahaydonframeworksinstitute.org>
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics: Researcher, The FrameWorks institute, District of Columbia, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The FrameWorks institute
Job Location: District of Columbia, USA
Web Address: http://www.frameworksinstitute.org
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics
The Research Associate will support the research division in data collection and analysis of content related to Strategic Frame Analysis™ (SFA). The SFA approach stresses a combination of methods (qualitative and quantitative) to support both descriptive and prescriptive investigations of the power of communications frames. This approach is rooted in the cognitive and social sciences, including anthropology, communications, linguistics, psychology, and sociology. As such, the ideal candidate should possess a strong background in one or more of the relevant scholarly disciplines and have experience using an array of research methods and analyzing a range of topics.
FrameWorks regularly develops and tests metaphors as explanatory tools. Candidates must have expertise and experience in applying linguistic approaches to the study of metaphor. The ideal candidate will be deeply familiar with the relevant scholarly literatures, skilled in qualitative data analysis, and eager to contribute to an ongoing line of inquiry into how metaphors and other communication devices can shape cognitive outcomes. Other areas where expertise and experience are important include mental models, the framing of social problems, and cognitive approaches to understanding how communications influence public support for social programs and policies. Some familiarity with advocacy and social policy communications is also desirable. Candidates from the disciplines of applied linguistics, cognitive linguistics, psycholinguistics, and sociolinguistics are especially encouraged to apply.
- Master’s Degree required; Ph.D. preferred.
- Demonstrable evidence of strong written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent analytic, writing and organizational skills.
- Experience working in collaborative settings.
- Some experience with applied research.
- Professional, enthusiastic, hard-working and “can do” attitude.
- Capable of independently managing time and the tasks associated with a fast-paced research agenda and strong organizational objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in research and data analysis to produce deliverables in written, video, and oral form.
- Integrate research findings into a wide variety of application materials, working with FrameWorks Learning staff.
- Contribute to academic papers, working papers produced by the Institute, and other written materials as necessary.
- Master the presentation of FrameWorks’ communications perspective and research findings.
- Read and assimilate all FrameWorks research and presentations explaining the SFA approach.
- Participate in regular and ongoing collaborative research meetings.
- Contribute to ongoing process of developing innovative research methods.
- Maintain a strong organizational posture to ensure the integrity of data and the analysis presented to clients.
- Attend client meetings as necessary to explain research findings or explain aspects of the SFA approach.
- Ensure the delivery of timely and high-quality responses to research questions by FrameWorks Research Director and management.
- Stay abreast of the scholarship in his/her field and contribute this information to the intellectual life and research initiatives of the Institute.
- Other research tasks as assigned.
This position must be collaborative and responsive to a wide array of staff and consultants around the country. The position involves travel up to 25% time.
Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2013
Mailing Address for Applications:
The FrameWorks Institute
1776 Eye Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
Email Address for Applications: ahaydonframeworksinstitute.org
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 13-Aug-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.