LINGUIST List 24.3451|
Tue Sep 03 2013
Jobs: Multiple Languages; Comp Ling; Morphology; Syntax: Programmer, Oracle
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Heather Arnold <heather.arnoldoracle.com>
Subject: Multiple Languages; Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Syntax: Programmer, Oracle, District of Columbia, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Oracle
Department: Oracle Language Technology
Job Location: District of Columbia, USA
Web Address: http://www.oracle.com
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Programmer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Morphology; Syntax
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
Greek, Modern (ell)
Join the Oracle Language Technology team and develop multi-lingual natural language component software used in a variety of search and analysis products and applications.
Our language software supports 35 languages and is currently developing 10 additional languages.
We have a team of 10 computational linguists that work with software engineers to develop the language processing functionality.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will apply basic to intermediate knowledge of software architecture to perform software development tasks associated with developing, debugging or designing software applications or operating systems according to provided design specifications. Build enhancements within an existing software architecture and occasionally suggest improvements to the architecture.
We are seeking a computational linguist for research and development related to a multi-language natural language processing system.
Qualified candidates must be native or near-native speakers of at least one of the following languages:
Proficiency in other non-European languages is a strong plus.
Computational linguistic background:
- Must have an academic degree or 2-5 yrs of professional experience as a computational linguist
- Experience with creating morphological rules for languages both familiar and unfamiliar
- Proficiency with regular expressions and basic Unix/Linux shell commands
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently
- Proficiency in a scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.) is a plus
The candidates will be responsible for:
- Creating, developing, and maintaining lexicons and morphological rules in a variety of languages
- Quality assessment of existing language work
- Ongoing testing and evaluation of language-related aspects of search product
- Researching and evaluating alternative tokenization and morphological analysis techniques
Send resumes to heather.arnoldoracle.com
As part of Oracle’s employment process candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment screening process, prior to an offer being made. This will involve identity and employment verification, salary verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: heather.arnoldoracle.com
Recruiter Heather Arnold
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 03-Sep-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.