LINGUIST List 24.4147|
Mon Oct 21 2013
Summer Schools: CSLS Winter School 2014: Language in Social Context
Editor for this issue: Malgorzata Cavar
From: Constanze Vorwerg <constanze.vorwergcsls.unibe.ch>
Subject: CSLS Winter School 2014: Language in Social Context
E-mail this message to a friend
CSLS Winter School 2014: Language in Social Context
Host Institution: Universität Bern
Coordinating Institution: Universität Bern
Dates: 13-Jan-2014 - 17-Jan-2014
Location: Kandersteg (Bernese Alps), Canton Bern, Switzerland
Focus: The 2014 CSLS Winter School: Language in Social Context is organized by the Center for the Study of Language and Society (CSLS) at the University of Bern and its newly started PhD program Studies in Language and Society, in collaboration with the PhD Program Transcultural Processes in Iberoromania of the Romance Department at the University of Zurich. The Winter School focuses on two thematic subareas: language variation, and language and migration.
Minimum Education Level: MA
The Winter School is primarily intended for PhD students from linguistic and related sciences working on topics relevant for the understanding of language in social context.
There will be lectures given by invited speakers who are experts in these areas, as well as short method workshops, and small-group sessions in which PhD students will have a chance to present their research and receive feedback from an expert in the field as well as from their peers. Student presentations will take place in two parallel sessions, one held in English, and the other in Romance languages (Spanish, Italian, or French). All lectures will be in English.
* Penelope Eckert (Stanford University)
* John R. Edwards (St. Francis Xavier University Nova Scotia)
* Hans-Jörg Döhla (SeDyL, CNRS Paris-Villejuif)
* Beat Siebenhaar (Leipzig University)
* Juan A. V. Ponsoda (University of (Málaga)
* David Britain (University of Bern)
* Stephan Schmid (University of Zurich)
* Johannes Kabatek (University of Zurich)
Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
Tuition: 580.00 Other
Tuition Explanation: The participation fee of CHF 580 per participant covers the costs for room (double occupancy) and board (but not travel expenses). No separate tuition.
Registration: 21-Oct-2013 to 05-Nov-2013
Contact Person: Bucheli Nadja
Apply by Email: constanze.vorwergcsls.unibe.ch
To apply, please email the documents listed below:
* short abstract of your presentation (max. 400 words), written in the language of presentation
* short CV (1 page), indicating most important educational and professional qualifications, and including the topic of your dissertation and the name of a referee we might contact
* personal statement on your motivation to participate in the CSLS Winter School Language in Social Context (max. 100 words)
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 21-Oct-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.