LINGUIST List 24.424|
Wed Jan 23 2013
Jobs: Computational Linguistics; NLP: Research Scientist, Nuance Communications
Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva
From: Jennifer Garvale <jennifer.garvalenunace.com>
Subject: Computational Linguistics; NLP: Research Scientist, Nuance Communications, California, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://nuance.com
Job Rank: Research Scientist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Semantics; NLP; Dialog Processing
Nuance (http://www.nuance.com) is the world-wide leader in voice technologies. We are now making substantial research and development investments to add natural language processing capabilities to our speech infrastructure. In particular, Nuance has recently created a research lab in its Silicon Valley office under the direction of Ron Kaplan. The goal of the team is to develop the next generation of intelligent, conversational agents. The NLP sub-group of this team is led by Joel Tetreault. We seek NLP research scientists with the following backgrounds:
- Dialog processing
- Discourse and anaphora resolution
- Multimodal generation
- Entity recognition
- Multilingual NLP
- Semantic interpretation
- Ownership of a major component of the conversational system.
- Conduct research on the dialog, generation, or reasoning components, and incorporate the latest advances from major conferences in the field.
- Adapt existing components within Nuance and from previous research in the field to a new problem space and domain.
- Understand the trade-offs between multiple competing approaches, and choose the ones that are likely to have future impact on the company's products.
- Design components in a way that will generalize across domains. Minimize the code change and human effort needed for the system to work in a new domain.
- Collaborate with other scientists and engineers inside and outside of the team.
- Patent or publish experimental results or designs when appropriate.
Education / Experience
- Ph.D. in computer science, computational linguistics, or another technical field with a focus on natural language processing.
- Solid track record in both projects and publications for natural language processing.
- Solid implementation skills in C++, Java, scripting languages.
- Knowledge of both statistical and rule-based methods for natural language processing.
Interested candidates should contact Jennifer Garvale at the application email address below.
Email Address for Applications: jennifer.garvalenuance.com
Recruiter Jennifer Garvale
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 23-Jan-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.