LINGUIST List 24.4331|
Fri Nov 01 2013
Jobs: Danish; Modern Greek; Comp Ling; Phonetics; Phonology; Socioling: Speech Linguistic Project Manager, Google
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Ara Kim <dataopsmangmail.com>
Subject: Danish; Modern Greek; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics: Speech Linguistic Project Manager, Google, New York, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Google
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: https://www.google.com/
Job Title: Speech Linguistic Project Manager - Speech Research
Job Rank: Speech Linguistic Project Manager
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics
Required Language(s): Danish (dan)
Greek, Modern (ell)
Danish: Mountain View, CA, New York, NY, or Copenhagen, Denmark
Greek: Mountain View, CA or New York, NY
The Speech Linguistic Project Manager will oversee and manage all work related to achieving high data quality for speech projects in target languages/locales.
You will be based in one of our offices listed above, managing a team of Data Evaluators/ Specialists and working on a number of projects for Speech research.
- Managing the data collection and annotation process for automatic speech recognition (ASR)
- Training temp workers on data collection/annotation projects and overseeing lifecycle of projects
- Documenting process and methodology for training
- Providing weekly status updates on metrics
- Able to work independently with confidence and little oversight
- Comfortable with new technology and quick iterations
- Able to collaborate with international teams
- Creating transcription and linguistic annotation conventions
- Evaluating data quality and exploring new methods of data collection for higher throughput
- Providing expertise on pronunciation and phonotactics
- Working with QA tools according to given guidelines and using in-house tools
- BS/BA or equivalent work experience.
- Previous project management and people management experience, including managing external resources
- Native-level speaker of target language (with good command of the standard dialect) and fluent in English
- Keen ear for phonetic nuances and attention to detail; knowledge of the language’s phonology
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced degree in Linguistics preferred; experience with Computational Linguistics a plus
- Also a plus: proficiency with HTML, XML, and some programming language; previous experience working in a Linux environment
Project duration: 6-11 months (with potential for extension)
This is not a permanent position but a contract position. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States (or in any of the other countries listed above) for any employer.
For immediate consideration, please email your CV and cover letter in English (PDF format preferred) with "Speech Linguistic Project Manager [insert language]" in the subject line.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: dataopsmangmail.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 01-Nov-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.