LINGUIST List 24.4494|
Mon Nov 11 2013
Jobs: General Ling: Localization Manager, Ancestry.com
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Molly Moss <mmossancestry.com>
Subject: General Linguistics: Localization Manager, Ancestry.com, Utah, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Ancestry.com
Job Location: Utah, USA
Web Address: http://Ancestry.com/
Job Rank: Localization Manager
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
The Localization team helps Ancestry's ideas and products look, feel and sound natural to users in their own countries. We collaborate with international engineering, product and marketing teams to steer products through the localization process and ensure successful launches across the globe.
You play a strategic role by building relationships with internal teams as well as outside vendors in order to establish needs, quotes, deadlines and budgets. You will utilize your project management and linguistic skills and your translation experience in order to ensure that our Localization process runs effectively and efficiently.
You manage localization for your product(s) from inception to launch, including resource allocation, scheduling and risk management. You work with translators, engineers, product managers, content authors and marketing managers to deliver Ancestry’s international site content and products on time and with high linguistic quality.
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
- Provide localization expertise and strategic insight to cross-functional teams and stakeholders to drive Ancestry’s product expansion globally and to ensure on-time delivery of international products with high linguistic quality.
- Drive localization program management for specific products or product groups from inception to launch, including scoping, resource allocation, scheduling, and budgeting, as well as quality, stakeholder, and risk management.
- Spearhead department initiatives including internationalization reviews, translation quality, process improvements, vendor strategy, and tools improvements.
- Work collaboratively with Ancestry’s global localization providers and stakeholders to drive efficiency and effectiveness of the localization process.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent. 5+ years practical experience in a relevant field such as translation, localization, international business, or linguistics preferred.
- In-house experience as a Localization Project Manager, Localization Vendor Manager or Translator (all are preferred).
- Experience with industry localization tools (SDL TRADOS preferred).
- Multilingual capability in two or three of our core languages (French, French Canadian, Spanish, German, Swedish, Italian).
- 5 or more years experience as a professional translator into an Ancestry core language.
- Experience leading internal and external teams in linguistic QA processes.
- Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively in a fast-paced environment, providing strong leadership skills and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present I18n and L10n challenges and pitfalls to Marketing, Design, Engineering and Product Management teams.
- A proven track record in linguistic bug resolution.
- You are a self-starter, proactive, collaborative and dedicated to meeting deadlines and producing results with fine attention to detail.
- You thrive working in a culturally diverse and fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with Ancestry sites and products.
- A background in genealogy and family history.
- Experience researching terminology found in historical records.
Ancestry.com is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry.com via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry.com. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ANCESTRY&cws=38&rid=1000
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 11-Nov-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.