LINGUIST List 24.4565|
Fri Nov 15 2013
Summer Schools: 9th EACL Spring School in Chinese Linguistics/Rome, Italy
Editor for this issue: Malgorzata Cavar
From: Linda Badan <linda.badangmail.com>
Subject: 9th EACL Spring School in Chinese Linguistics/Rome, Italy
E-mail this message to a friend
9th EACL Spring School in Chinese Linguistics
Host Institution: Università degli Studi Roma Tre
Coordinating Institution: European Association of Chinese Linguistics
Dates: 31-Mar-2014 - 04-Apr-2014
Location: Rome, Italy
Focus: The EACL Spring School in Chinese Linguistics is organized for M.A. and Ph.D. students in Chinese linguistics affiliated to European universities. Applications that do not fit into these criteria (e.g. postdocs, young academics) may be considered if limitations allow.
Minimum Education Level: MA
- Good command of spoken and written Chinese and English.
- Proven interest in Chinese linguistics.
The aim of the EACL (European Association of Chinese Linguistics) Spring Schools in Chinese Linguistics is to provide an opportunity for MA and PhD-students affiliated to European universities to be exposed to areas in Chinese linguistics to which they are not exposed in their home institution; and to make them aware of the expertise in Chinese linguistics present in Europe. So far we have held six Spring schools in Leiden (2006), München (2007), Amsterdam (2008), Moscow (2009), Bochum (2010), Paris (2011), Berlin (2012), and Prague (2013). Next Spring School will be held in Rome.
The following seminars are going to be offered:
- Federico Masini and Chiara Romagnoli: Chinese lexicon and lexicography. Diachronic perspective and synchronic description.
- Daniel Kadar: Talking ABOUT Chinese language. An introduction into Chinese meta-pragmatics.
- Victor Pan & Linda Badan: Syntax of Modern Chinese. A generative introduction to topic, focus and wh-questions.
In addition to these seminars, two lectures on general linguistics will be given by Raffaele Simone (lexicon) and Mara Frascarelli (syntax).
All participants are required to participate in all the three seminar series and lectures.
Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics
Subject Languages: Chinese, Mandarin
Language Families: Sino-Tibetan
Tuition: 75.00-100.00 EUR
Accommodation and lunches are included in the attendance fee (pending budget approval). Travel and local transportation are covered by participants. All participants, except for M.A. students, are required to be EACL members, or join the Association, at the time of registration. Membership fee for students is EUR 15 (see the EACL website for further details). Membership fees and attendance fees can be paid by money order, bank transfer or in cash at registration for the Spring School.
Registration: 14-Nov-2013 to 20-Dec-2013
Contact Email: springschool9gmail.com
Apply by Email: springschool9gmail.com
Candidates must send a PDF document which includes:
- An academic C.V. containing
* Name and contact information (including M(ale)/F(emale) for the dorms).
* Name of the university and the course you are registered in, name of your advisor/main teacher in Chinese linguistics. No recommendation is required from your advisor to apply.
* Information on your previous academic training, including details about the year you started your Masters/PhD course, and your training in linguistics and in Chinese (list of courses attended, including ECTS-points, which are relevant to the Spring School).
* Main fields of interest, and the present topic of your Masters/PhD research. List publications and oral presentations at conferences, if any.
- A short motivation letter (10-15 lines): why do you want to participate? (The motivation letter is very important in the selection procedure).
Applications and questions should be sent to springschool9gmail.com with the subject line “EACL Spring school 2014”. Use the candidate's name as the filename for the PDF. The EACL board deals with the applications and the
Applications must be sent before December 20, 2013. Late submissions will not be accepted. Prospective participants will be notified by February 1, 2014.The board of the EACL functions as the admission committee.
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 15-Nov-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.