LINGUIST List 24.5217|
Mon Dec 16 2013
Support: English, General Linguistics/United Kingdom
Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva
From: John Joseph <john.josephed.ac.uk>
Subject: PhD Student, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
E-mail this message to a friend
Department: Linguistics & English Language
Web Address: http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk
Institution/Organization: University of Edinburgh
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Linguistics and English Language at the University of Edinburgh has a number of funding opportunities for postgraduate study starting in September 2014. These are available to applicants in all areas of linguistic study and are briefly described below. This message is to advertise them to potential applicants who would like to undertake postgraduate research in linguistics - please pass it on.
The activities of the Research Groups at Edinburgh are summarised here: http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/lel/groups/
If you would like to apply for postgraduate study in linguistics at Edinburgh, there is some advice here: http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/students/postgraduate/Prospective.htm
The first step is to approach a potential supervisor/advisor in the area that you would like to research. Feel free to contact us. We are listed on the Research Group webpages mentioned above, and on http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/lel/people
Due to funding scheme dictates, the types of funding available are linked to an applicant's country of residence. The main funding opportunities that are available at Edinburgh are set out below.
1) AHRC Doctoral Studentships, offering fees and maintenance for UK-based students, and fees for EU-based students
- deadline: Friday 10th January 2014
- further details are available here: http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/students/postgraduate/PGFunding.php#AHRC
2) University of Edinburgh doctoral awards, which are open to all applicants regardless of their country of residence; these are described as 'College of Humanities and Social Sciences Research Awards' and 'Career Development Scholarships'
- deadline: Monday 3rd February 2014
- further details are available here: http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/students/postgraduate/PGFunding.php#CHSS
3) There is also one PhD studentship available this year with a tight focus on the phonological history of Scots
- deadline: Friday 10th January 2014
- further details are available here: http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/students/postgraduate/PGFunding.php#LingHist
4) Applicants who want to work on Celtic languages can also apply through this route: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/literatures-languages-cultures/celtic-scottish-studies/news-events/ahrc-award
MSc (a one-year Masters degree):
1) University of Edinburgh Masters scholarships
2) The Ailie Donald Bursary, offering up to £1500 for study related to the linguistics of English
- further details of Masters funding are available here: http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/students/postgraduate/PGFunding.php
The University of Edinburgh is ranked in the world’s top five linguistics departments in the current QS World University Rankings, and in the top two in the UK in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014. The UK government's most recent Research Assessment Exercise ranked linguistics at Edinburgh as the best in the UK, in terms of the percentage of research that is of world-leading quality, with the largest concentration of linguistics scholarship in the UK. The University of Edinburgh, founded in 1583, is often ranked in the top 20 universities in the world. Edinburgh is the ancient capital of Scotland and its entire centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is frequently voted the UK's best city to live in or visit.
Applications Deadline: 10-Jan-2014
Web Address for Applications: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=293&cw_xml=details.php
Phone:+44 (0) 131 651 5002
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 16-Dec-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.