LINGUIST List 24.982|
Mon Feb 25 2013
Calls: Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Socioling, Anthropological Ling/Poland
Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee
From: Wladyslaw Chlopicki <chlopickigmail.com>
Subject: International Conference on Communication Styles
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: International Conference on Communication Styles
Short Title: ICCS
Date: 14-Oct-2013 - 16-Oct-2013
Location: Krosno, Poland
Contact Person: Anna Letkowska
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.pwsz.krosno.pl/conferences-and-publications-department-of-english/
Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics
Call Deadline: 20-Jun-2013
International Conference on Communication Styles
Krosno, Poland, 14-16 October 2013
Organised by Krosno State College
Board of Organisers:
Professor Dorota Brzozowska, Opole University, Poland
Dr Władysław Chłopicki, Jagiellonian University, Kraków and Krosno State College, Poland
Dr Liisi Laineste, Estonian Literary Museum, Tartu, Estonia
Professor Diana Popa, Dunarea de Jos University, Galati, Romania
Dr Villy Tsakona, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece
Anna Rewiś-Łętkowska: krosno.conference.2013gmail.com
Professor Geert Hofstede, Professor Emeritus, the Netherlands
Professor Michael Minkov, International University College, Bulgaria
The conference aims at:
1) describing changes and development of established communication styles in through the means provided by cultural theorists;
2) defining major culture-specific communication-related concepts as seen from the contrastive perspective;
3) pursuing cross-cultural research that acknowledges the similarities and differences between cultural communication styles;
4) exploring the variety of communication styles and their representation in mass culture and other contexts;
5) investigating the (often covert) ideological dimension of different communication styles.
Organisers will arrange bus transportation for participants travelling from Kraków to Krosno (160 km, ca 2 hours drive). The departure from Kraków Bus Station on 13 October (Sunday) afternoon and return from Krosno on 16 October (Wednesday).
The College is a small, but fast developing academic institution, with excellent conference facilities and enthusiastic staff, located in a picturesque Renaissance town in south-eastern Poland (see a video clip: http://www.krosno.pl/en/about-town/multimedia/video/art10.html). The college is a partner institution of the Jagiellonian University of Kraków, which is the oldest Polish university also ranked as the best one in the country.
Conference session will take place at two venues of the college: Rynek 1 and Kazimierza Wielkiego 4, Krosno.
800 PLN (equivalent of 200 euro)
The conference package fee covers: return transportation from Krakow Bus Station to Krosno, hotel accommodation for 3 nights (Hotel Portius, ul. Bursaki 29a, Krosno, http://hotelportius.pl/), 3 lunches, 2 conference dinners, conference materials, refreshments during sessions, sightseeing of nearby tourist highlights, publication of selected papers.
Doctoral students will be granted a fee reduction (please apply).
Accompanying persons fee: 400 PLN (equivalent of 100 euro)
All fees (in Polish zloties) must be transferred to the bank account of Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa in Krosno (Krosno State College) by 15 September 2013.
The ccount number will be provided in the second circular.
Call for Papers:
Specifically, conference presenters are encouraged to focus on the following areas of research:
- Dimensions of culture
- Pragmatics of intercultural communication
- Creativity and tradition in cultural communication
- Artistic communication
- Humour in culture and society
- Communication in families and across age groups
- Gender communication styles
- Communication in education
- Media communication styles
- Business and workplace communication
- Communication and ideology
- Cross-cultural aspects of translation
- Cultural and linguistic globalization
- Communication problems and conflicts
Conference language: English
Paper proposals with a 150-word abstract and the registration form should be sent to: krosno.conference.2013gmail.com no later than 20 June 2013. Acceptance notifications will be sent by 30 June 2013.
Peer reviewed papers will be published as the monograph study in 2014.
Conference website: http://www.pwsz.krosno.pl/conferences-and-publications-department-of-english/
Registration Form (please submit by 20 June 2013):
Abstract (150 words):
Kraków-Krosno - October 13 (Sunday)
The return reservations can be made at the conference.
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 25-Feb-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.