LINGUIST List 25.1549
Apr 01 2014
Disc: Is there a
Editor for this issue:
Alex Isotalo <alxlinguistlist.org>
From: Soleiman Ghassemi
Subject: Is there a UG?
E-mail this message to a
Hi, I study general linguistics but philosophy
(my main interest) dragged me to linguistics. I
have thought about thinking and reason for
nearly 20 years and I believe I have could
discover an important fact. But because I live
in a religious and authoritarian country, I
can't publish my findings here at my
university. i've written this issue on my
Facebook too with some more philosophical
1. Reason is an undeniable invisible fact.
2. Reason is an independent reality. Because an
unreasonable matter can’t product Reason.
3. Brain is a substance and can’t produce
Reason. (It’s made by Reason itself )
4. Information goes from sensory organs to the
brain by neurons.
5. It is the Reason what understands
information of the brain.
6. So our Reason is not connected to realities
directly, but It receives their image in the
7. In fact brain is the same as Plato's cave, A
cave that Plato felt its existence but he did
not know it.
8. The main factor of evolution is the
existence of Reason in Fauna’s body.
9. First, The Reason has entered into simplest
body ( single-celled ) for life.
10. A full-fledged brain can give more
information to the Reason.
11. Due to the larger brain, human can see
connection of things together.
12. The human due to his broader brain can see
links between things and then be aware of the
facts or understand them.
13. So before understanding a reality you have
to have seen the relation of its
14. Speech is expression of a perceived
reality, and it is not relevant to the previous
step (seeing the connection of components).
That is why we cannot express a reality before
understanding it. Thought ( that is looking at
things and explore their connection ) occurs in
the first phase. Therefore when you thought you
15. We cannot show connection of components in
a sentence simultaneously such as in mind .we
have to write the words in a linear order.
16. But, to show how components are connected
together every language has to determine some
rules for the arrangement of words in a
sentence which will form the Grammar of that
17. Thus, contrary to Chomsky, there is not a
universal grammar, because no grammar can show
the connection of components of a reality
simultaneously as it is perceived in the
18. It should also be said that contrary to his
opinion, language phenomenon is not due to a
specific gene in humans. Because genes can’t
produce thought. Brain is like a window that
our Reason looks out behind it and The more
this window is larger the more connections can
be seen. Language is an evidence of this
How do you think ? I will be happy if you
submit an answer.
Linguistic Field(s): Philosophy of Language
page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 01-Apr-2014
While the LINGUIST List
makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance
of sites listed on its pages, it cannot vouch for their