LINGUIST List 25.333
Jan 20 2014
Editor for this issue:
Uliana Kazagasheva <ulianalinguistlist.org>
From: Merel van Wijk
Subject: PhD Student, Leiden
E-mail this message to a
Web Address: http://www.lucl.nl
Institution/Organization: Leiden University
Duties: Research,Teaching,Project Work
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics;
The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
the institute of linguistics at the Faculty of
Humanities, Leiden University, is hosting a 5
year research programme entitled “Understanding
funded by the Dutch national research council
NWO.This project is an integrated study of the
syntax-semantics, prosody and processing of
in-situ wh-questions in French and Mandarin.
There are three subprojects, one on the
syntax-semantics aspects of these questions,
one on the prosodic aspects and one on the
We are looking for a PhD student to carry out
the subproject “Revisiting the syntax and
semantics of in-situ wh-questions”.
Leiden University has a longstanding tradition
in research in the world’s languages and
features unique linguistic expertise. LUCL
combines current theoretical insights and
modern experimental methods in its research
profile area “Language Diversity in the World”.
For more information, see:
The candidate should have:
- A Master’s degree in Linguistics, in
particular in syntax and/or semantics
(completion of the MA thesis before the PhD
- An interest in psycholinguistics.
- A curious, enterprising and creative mind and
excellent analytical skills, evidence of which
should emerge from the MA thesis.
- Good writing skills.
- A very good and demonstrable command of
- Ability to work both independently and as
part of a team.
- Knowledge of French and/or Mandarin Chinese
- Duties and responsibilities.
The candidate will carry out the following
Conduct original research on the following
- The syntactic and prosodic differences
between standard in-situ wh-questions and echo
- French in-situ questions vs. fronted
- Intervention effects in French and
- The processing of intervention effects.
- Write a PhD thesis.
- Submit research results for publication in
peer-reviewed academic journals.
- Present papers at (international)
- Teach a course in the second and third year
of the appointment.
- Organize and participate in reading and
discussions groups, seminars, workshops within
See the website for the offer and application
Applications Deadline: 28-Feb-2014
Web Address for Applications:
Lisa Lai-Shen Cheng l.l.chenghum.leidenuniv.nl
page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 20-Jan-2014
While the LINGUIST List
makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance
of sites listed on its pages, it cannot vouch for their