LINGUIST List 25.467|
Tue Jan 28 2014
Jobs: English; Applied Ling: Director, The Pennsylvania State University
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont
From: Jessica Snyder <jjs457psu.edu>
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics: Director, The Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The Pennsylvania State University
Department: Applied Linguistics/IECP
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Web Address: http://iecp.psu.edu
Job Title: IECP Director
Job Rank: Director
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Department of Applied Linguistics at The Pennsylvania State University seeks a visionary leader and experienced administrator to direct its Intensive English Communication Program (IECP), a dynamic team of faculty and staff committed to the education of a vibrant, multilingual and international student population since 1976. In teaching and service, the mission of the Intensive English Communication Program is to provide outstanding instruction in academic English communication to adult English language learners so that they can successfully participate in American institutions of higher education. The IECP is also committed to the continuous professional development of its faculty and staff and to contributing service and leadership to the TESOL profession.
The IECP is affiliated with the Department of Applied Linguistics, which is part of the College of the Liberal Arts. The IECP contributes to departmental research initiatives in conjunction with the Center for Research on English Language Learning and Teaching (CRELLT).
As Director, the successful candidate will provide daily oversight of all program operations; model and facilitate excellence in program communications; cultivate a transformative academic environment for students; develop and oversee recruitment efforts; hire, train, review and foster professional development of faculty and staff; manage the IECP Tutoring Center; and represent the IECP on campus and within the profession. The Director reports to the Executive Director, a faculty member in the Department of Applied Linguistics.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- A Master’s in Teaching English as a Second Language (T.E.S.L.), Applied Linguistics or related field
- Extensive experience in ESL program administration
- Several years’ teaching experience in an intensive English or academic English preparation program in a college or university setting where English is the language of instruction
- Record of on-going professional development
- Demonstrated successful program development and program assessment experience
- Command of the English language at the level of a native speaker
- Outstanding professional, cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience in international recruitment
- Experience in teacher development
- Experience teaching ESL/EFL abroad
- Proficiency in one or more languages other than English
- Experience with CEA accreditation
- Successful publication of classroom materials and/or teaching tools
- Leadership positions in TESOL International Association, NAFSA, English USA/AAIEP, UCIEP, etc.
- Demonstrated scholarly contributions to the field
Salary and Appointment Information
This is a full-time twelve-month academic professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience, qualifications, and the personal characteristics required to assume a demanding and significant role requiring administrative leadership.
Applications will be accepted via the faculty search website (www.la.psu.edu/facultysearch/) until the position is filled, with priority given to dossiers received by February 28, 2014. Please provide a cover letter; CV; transcripts of graduate program(s); documentation of administrative/supervisory/teaching excellence; supporting materials such as observation reports, peer reviews, and student evaluations, and copies of any published materials relevant to this position. Additionally, please arrange to have three letters of recommendation emailed to Jessica Snyder at the contact email below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://www.la.psu.edu/facultysearch/
Administrative Coordinator Jessica Snyder
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 28-Jan-2014
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.