LINGUIST List 25.47|
Wed Jan 08 2014
Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Western University
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Vicki Schwean <deaneduwo.ca>
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Western University
Department: Faculty of Education
Job Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Web Address: http://www.edu.uwo.ca/
Job Title: Assistant Professor (Tenure-Track) in Applied Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Faculty of Education, Western University, seeks applicants for a probationary (tenure-track) position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Applied Linguistics/English as a Second Language. The selected candidate will have expertise in one or more of the areas of English for academic purposes (EAP)/English for specific purposes (ESP), form-focused instruction, language assessment, second language teacher education, and second language vocabulary. The effective date of the appointment will be July 1st, 2014.
Candidates will have completed a Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics, Second Language Education, TESL/TESOL or a related field, and have a recognized college or university TESL/TESOL diploma, certificate or the equivalent. The successful candidate will be expected to have an active scholarly research program, teach at the pre-service and graduate levels, supervise graduate students and engage in service on faculty and university committees. Strong preference will be given to those candidates who have demonstrated excellence in teaching and administering ESL and TESL/TESOL programs.
- Teach in the preservice program in the area of applied linguistics;
- Teach graduate courses in the area of applied linguistics;
- Supervise graduate students;
- Demonstrate a strong research and publication program, and a commitment to seeking external funding.
- A Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics, Second Language Education, TESL/TESOL or a related field;
- A recognized TESL/TESOL diploma/certificate or equivalent;
- University level teaching experience (e.g., ESL; EAP; ESP; vocabulary, etc.);
- Experience teaching TESL/TESOL courses;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- High level of cultural/intercultural competence to work with students with diverse backgrounds.
- Expertise in quantitative research (statistical analyses) in applied linguistics;
- Experience administering TESL/TESOL programs;
- TESL Ontario accreditation as an Academic Coordinator;
- Experience teaching in the areas of vocabulary/lexical items in EAP/ESP programs;
- Experience teaching at the graduate level in applied linguistics;
- Experience with information technology in a pedagogical context.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application which provides an overview and discussion of their qualifications as they relate to this specific position, along with their curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees.
Please ensure that the form available at the application URL below is completed and included in your application submission.
Electronic applications may be sent to the application email address below.
Review of applications will begin after February 28, 2014 and, subject to budgetary approval, will continue until the positions are filled.
This position is subject to budget approval. Applicants should have fluent written and oral communication skills in English. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. Western University is committed to employment equity and welcomes applications from all qualified women and men, including visible minorities, Aboriginal people and persons with disabilities.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: deaneduwo.ca
Web Address for Applications: http://www.uwo.ca/facultyrelations/faculty/Application-FullTime-Faculty-Position-Form.pdf
Dr. Vicki Schwean
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 08-Jan-2014
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.