LINGUIST List 25.631|
Fri Feb 07 2014
Jobs: Applied Ling; Disc Analysis: Full Prof, Lancaster University
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox
From: Elena Semino <e.seminolancaster.ac.uk>
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis: Full Professor, Lancaster University, Lancaster, United Kingdom
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Lancaster University
Department: Linguistics and English Language
Job Location: Lancaster, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk
Job Title: Professor of Applied Linguistics
Job Rank: Full Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis
Department/College: Linguistics and English Language
Directly responsible to: Head of Department
Supervisory responsibility for: N/A
- Internal: Colleagues and students in the Department and in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, together with colleagues in other faculties, providers of student support services, the Library, ISS, central administration and other relevant university actors.
- External: Relevant research funding bodies and councils, professional bodies, employers, business organisations, local and UK government organisations, academic and research networks.
- Contribute to the development and international profile of the Department through the generation of research, teaching and scholarship of outstanding international quality;
- To lead research, teaching and scholarship in at least one of the following areas of Applied Linguistics: Discourse Studies, Language, Gender and Sexuality, Literacy Studies, Intercultural Communication, Educational Linguistics (second language teaching pedagogies from a sociocultural perspective, critical pedagogy, language teacher development, classroom research).
- Pursue a high-profile personal research agenda in keeping with the criteria of the UK’s Research Excellence Framework, leading to publications in key international peer-reviewed academic journals and to other appropriate forms of research output and impact;
- Lead research teams or other collaborative research initiatives, departmental, inter-departmental, and/or inter-institutional;
- Identify opportunities and apply for grants for new research projects, individual and/or collaborative consistent with a professorial appointment;
- Co-ordinate and develop MA and PhD modules in Applied Linguistics, and particularly in one or more of the areas listed above;
- Supervise dissertations and PhD candidates;
- Identify and pursue opportunities for the development and growth of the Department’s postgraduate programmes;
- Play a leading role in the Department’s academic and pastoral care of its students and in the enhancement of their learning, personal development and achievement;
- Communicate effectively with students and colleagues, using face-to-face, telephone, written and electronic communication (including email and VLE) modes as appropriate;
- Assume administrative and management responsibilities as requested by the Head of Department;
- Be available to teach short courses abroad (normally not more than once a year) as necessary;
- Provide cover for colleagues on sabbatical where necessary;
- Engage in other duties appropriate to the grade of the post as required by the Head of Department.
Application Deadline: 25-Apr-2014
Web Address for Applications: http://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=A885
Professor Elena Semino
Phone: +44 (0)1524 594176
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 07-Feb-2014
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.