LINGUIST List 25.653|
Fri Feb 07 2014
Jobs: English; Applied Ling; General Ling; Lang Acq: Full Prof, University of Salzburg
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont
From: Hartmut Stöckl <hartmut.stoecklsbg.ac.at>
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Full Professor, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: University of Salzburg
Department: English and American Studies
Job Location: Salzburg, Austria
Job Title: Professor
Job Rank: Full Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The University of Salzburg invites applications for a full, tenured professorship in English Linguistics with a special emphasis on the acquisition of English. The position will become available in the Department of English and American Studies as of October the first.
The professorship is to represent English Linguistics in all its scope, and language acquisition research with regard to English (e.g. English as a second or foreign language). The teaching (in B.A., M.A., teacher‐training, and PhD programmes) will cover, first, the basic fields of English linguistics (such as structural linguistics, discourse analysis and sociolinguistics). Teaching will also be required in the central areas of language acquisition research with a view to aspects of English language learning and teaching.
Research areas of the prospective professor must be in selected core disciplines of English linguistics. Another field of research must be in language acquisition theory or empirical language acquisition research. Applications are invited in particular from candidates whose research in language learning and teaching is oriented towards the social, cultural, and linguistic heterogeneity of learner groups (‘diversity’).
General Job Requirements:
1. An earned doctorate/PhD degree or foreign equivalent in the respective disciplines
2. An earned ‘Habilitation’/‘venia docendi’ or equivalent academic qualifications in the respective disciplines
3. An excellent aptitude and track record in teaching and research in the required academic disciplines
4. Pedagogic and didactic competence and experience
5. Linguistics‐related experience abroad and involvement in international research
6. Teaching required in English exclusively
7. Very good knowledge of German in speech and writing
1. Willingness to cooperate in joint research both within the Department of English and American Studies and university‐wide
2. Involvement in teacher training courses and cooperation in the School of Education
3. Willingness to take a share in the faculty and departmental administration
4. Experience in modern academic research management and in the acquisition of external project‐funding
5. Willingness and ability to offer leadership for the university
6. Collaborative and team‐building skills
The university appoints professors full‐time on a tenured contract according to the regulations of the Austrian Universities Act (http://www.bmwf.gv.at/fileadmin/user_upload/wissenschaft/recht/englisch/E_UG.pdf), the Angestelltengesetz and the Kollektivvertrag for university employees (group A1). The basis of salary negotiations is the required legal minimum of € 4.697,80 before taxes (in 14 monthly payments).
The University of Salzburg seeks to increase the proportion of its female staff and, therefore, invites applications from female candidates. Given equal qualification women will receive preference in employment. People with disabilities or chronic illnesses who fulfill the job requirements are also expressly invited to apply.
Expenses for travel and accommodation incurred in the job application cannot be refunded.
In order to be valid, applications are to contain the following enclosures: CV, degree certificates, lists of publications and courses taught, record of academic theses supervised, brief survey of research projects, external funding acquired and international co‐operations, and an outline of the teaching and research envisaged for the position (2‐4 pages).
For details see the application website below.
Application Deadline: 07-Mar-2014
Mailing Address for Applications:
Univ.‐Prof. Dr. Heinrich Schmidinger
Web Address for Applications: http://www.uni-salzburg.at/index.php?id=31106&MP=31077-44885
Univ. Prof. Dr. Hartmut Stöckl
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 07-Feb-2014
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.