The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2017 Fund Drive.
Job Announcement: FedSys Inc.
Multiple Languages; Applied Linguistics; Language Documentation; Translation: Linguist, FedSys Inc., Virginia, USA
|Job Location:||DC, USA|
FedSys is currently seeking candidates for a Linguist opportunity with multiple openings stationed in the DC Metropolitan area with multiple government customers. Some short term travel may be required. A Top Secret clearance is required.
Prior linguist experience in one or more of the following languages: Sudanese, Russian, Farsi, Persian Farsi, Chinese (Mandarin), North African Arabic (Taureg, Moroccan, Algerian, Tunisian, Libyan and Hassaniyah of Mauritania), Arabic, Kurdish (Sorani/Kurmanji), and Dari/Pashto.
Seeking candidates with the following linguistic capabilities (requirements vary per language):
Translation, Interpretation, Transcription, Quality control, Summarizing/Gisting, Translation related services, Triage, Counterterrorism, Editing, etc.
The ideal candidate will perform in the role of a Primary Level Linguist and will be responsible for the full range of activities in processing material or participating in situations requiring advanced capability to perform translation, transcription and interpretation in support of the US Interagency work. In addition, the incumbent will perform “ancillary” linguistic activities, which include but are not limited to the following, are: blogging, collection, content management, editing, language training, monitoring, quality control, scanning, selection, subject matter expertise, summarizing/gisting, terminology management, translation-related services, triage, workflow, writing reports, writing analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Can translate a wide variety of complex texts that may contain difficult, idiomatic, scientific, and colloquial writing.
- Can capture subtleties, nuance, tone and register. Text might include commentary reflecting specific culture to analysis to argumentation and translator can capture meaning of socio-cultural elements embedded in text. Expression reflects native usage.
- Able to interpret at virtually all levels, including complex or highly complex idiomatic speech with a very high degree of accuracy.
- Has excellent command in terms of speaking and comprehension of one or more dialects.
- Can successfully render expressions specific to a culture, and convey almost all subtleties and nuances appropriately.
- Reviews audio materials, writes/transcribes information from the target language into English with a high-degree of accuracy and expression.
- Must be familiar with the communications collection equipment and have basic knowledge on its operation
- Must be familiar with basic investigative terminology and trends and any relative concerns regarding the investigations
- Must be familiar with minimization requirements for intercepted communications and proper handling instructions
- Bachelor’s Degree or Higher is preferred.
- Must be able to perform full range of activities as a linguist i.e. translation, transcription, interpretation
- ILR Testing Requirements: minimum ILR 3-3+ for translation or interpretation on interagency language roundtable.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and is not an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with it.
FedSys, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other criteria the consideration of which is made impermissible by applicable law.
|Application Deadline:||Open until filled|
, Compliance Specialist
click here to access email
Phone: 561-833-8488 Fax: 561-277-2509