Job Announcement: Appen Butler Hill
Cebuano; Lexicography; Phonetics; Phonology: Linguist, Appen Butler Hill
Appen Butler Hill
|Job Location:||---------------- (Telecommute)|
|Title:||Linguist - Cebuano|
The work will involve assisting in the creation of the Lexicon component of a Speech Database (SDB) in Cebuano, as spoken in The Philippines.
A Lexicon is an electronic pronunciation dictionary (in text format) consisting of phonetic representations of all words transcribed from audio files in a SDB. The lexicons also include syllable boundaries and stress or tone mark-up. They also usually include variant pronunciations, dialectal or regional variation and can include additional labeling indicating ‘foreign word’, ‘Proper Name’, ‘acronym’, ‘homonym’, etc.
The work will also involve creating documents to describe the language for the purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of any spelling standardization or dialectal variation issues in the language. The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in phonetic script. Training in ABH processes will be provided.
- Location: Remote, Global
- Hours: Requires a commitment of approximately 10 hours per week, depending on the tasks required. Please note that the work may be sporadic at times but we will do our best to give you fair warning of any changes to the workflow and timelines.
- Length of assignment: We expect that the work will commence within the next month (July-August 2013), be ongoing for the next 6-12 months.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a background in linguistics and a familiarity with Cebuano at the level of a fluent native speaker.
- Specific linguistic background should be geared towards phonetics and phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Must be able to read and write Cebuano.
- Must be able to type the Cebuano alphabet into Firefox web browsers.
- Must be able to make decisions on spelling (with the assistance of another linguist).
- Must have good typing and computer skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Masters or PhD in Linguistics
- Specialty in Phonetics or Phonology
- Experience with correcting phonetic transcriptions for speech technology
- Coding skills for Computational Linguistics.
|Application Deadline:||Open until filled|
click here to access email