The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
Job Announcement: Portland State University
Applied Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Language Education: Assistant Professor, Portland State University, Oregon, USA
Portland State University
Department of Applied Linguistics
|Job Location:||Oregon, USA|
|Title:||Tenure-Track Assistant Professor: Language Education|
The Department of Applied Linguistics, Portland State University, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level. The department offers an undergraduate major and minor in applied linguistics, a one-year TESL certificate, and an MA in TESOL; a proposal for a PhD in Applied Linguistics is under discussion. The department is also home to the Intensive English Language Program, one of the largest and oldest academic English programs on the West coast, and houses the Literacy, Language & Technology Research (LLTR) group.
The ideal candidate will be an applied linguist with expertise in language education and one or more of the following: intercultural communication, corpus linguistics, or grammar (from a grammar-in-use or functional perspective). We seek someone who is committed to the development of pre-service language educators and enthusiastic about supervising MA-level teaching-related projects and theses. Candidates should have experience teaching a second or foreign language (preferably English). They should also have experience with the use of technology in language education and demonstrate familiarity with a range of research methods.
Candidates must be comfortable in an Applied Linguistics program committed to excellence in research, teaching, and student mentoring. They must likewise be comfortable linking research, theory, and practice in applied linguistics.
Responsibilities include teaching two courses per quarter (three terms/year), advising students, and supervising graduate students as well as maintaining an active research agenda, including a plan for seeking external funding. Service to the department, the institution, and the discipline are also expected.
- Ph.D. in applied linguistics or a related field in hand by start date, September 16, 2014. Candidates whose degree is not in applied linguistics should make explicit in their application how their research and teaching relate directly to applied linguistics.
- The ability to teach two or more of the following courses— Understanding the International Experience , Corpus Linguistics in Language Teaching, Structure of English, and/or Grammar for TESOL—as well as other language education courses in the curriculum.
- The ability to teach and mentor students in both quantitative and qualitative research methods, based on training and experience in research.
- An active research agenda that includes publishing in respected venues and a plan for seeking external funding.
- Experience teaching a second or foreign language (preferably English) and familiarity with the types of programs that generally employ MA TESOL graduates.
- Experience with technology in language education.
- The ability to link research, theory, and practice in applied linguistics.
- The ability to apply intercultural communication theory for language education purposes
- The ability to teach grammar courses from a grammar-in-use or functional perspective
- Experience with online instruction
Compensation is competitive with an excellent benefits package including 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Univ System schools.
Please apply online at the application URL below. Please arrange to have teaching evaluations, if not electronic, and three letters of reference sent directly to the application address below.
PO Box 751
Portland OR 97207
, Department Manager
click here to access email