The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
Job Announcement: Google
Danish; Modern Greek; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Sociolinguistics: Speech Linguistic Project Manager, Google, New York, USA
|Job Location:||New York, USA|
|Title:||Speech Linguistic Project Manager - Speech Research|
Speech Linguistic Project Manager
Danish: Mountain View, CA, New York, NY, or Copenhagen, Denmark
Greek: Mountain View, CA or New York, NY
The Speech Linguistic Project Manager will oversee and manage all work related to achieving high data quality for speech projects in target languages/locales.
You will be based in one of our offices listed above, managing a team of Data Evaluators/ Specialists and working on a number of projects for Speech research.
- Managing the data collection and annotation process for automatic speech recognition (ASR)
- Training temp workers on data collection/annotation projects and overseeing lifecycle of projects
- Documenting process and methodology for training
- Providing weekly status updates on metrics
- Able to work independently with confidence and little oversight
- Comfortable with new technology and quick iterations
- Able to collaborate with international teams
- Creating transcription and linguistic annotation conventions
- Evaluating data quality and exploring new methods of data collection for higher throughput
- Providing expertise on pronunciation and phonotactics
- Working with QA tools according to given guidelines and using in-house tools
- BS/BA or equivalent work experience.
- Previous project management and people management experience, including managing external resources
- Native-level speaker of target language (with good command of the standard dialect) and fluent in English
- Keen ear for phonetic nuances and attention to detail; knowledge of the language’s phonology
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced degree in Linguistics preferred; experience with Computational Linguistics a plus
- Also a plus: proficiency with HTML, XML, and some programming language; previous experience working in a Linux environment
Project duration: 6-11 months (with potential for extension)
This is not a permanent position but a contract position. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States (or in any of the other countries listed above) for any employer.
For immediate consideration, please email your CV and cover letter in English (PDF format preferred) with "Speech Linguistic Project Manager [insert language]" in the subject line.
|Application Deadline:||Open until filled|
click here to access email
click here to access email