Job Announcement: Universiteit Leiden
Aymaran; Quechuan; Historical Linguistics: Post Doc, Universiteit Leiden, Leiden, Netherlands
|Job Location:||Leiden, Netherlands|
|Title:||Postdoctoral Researcher in Historical Linguistics|
The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics, one of the institutes of the Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University, is hosting a research programme entitled “The Linguistic Past of Mesoamerica and the Andes: A search for early migratory relations between North and South America” funded by the European Research Council (ERC Advanced Grant). This programme focuses on the identification of linguistic, genetic and archaeological relations between Mesoamerica and the Middle Andes before European contact. It is conducted in collaboration with the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig (Germany).
The candidate should have:
- PhD in linguistics completed.
- Knowledge of historical linguistics including both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Elementary knowledge of Spanish.
- Familiarity with a Quechuan or an Aymaran language, preferably both.
The candidate is supposed to carry out the following tasks
- Investigating the external genetic relations of the Quechuan and Aymaran language families in Andean South America.
- Making a reconstruction of Proto-Aymaran (phonological, morphological, lexical)
- Actively participating in project discussions
- Participating in activities of the research team
What we offer:
The position is for three years with a full-time appointment. Initially the employee will receive a one year contract. Salary range from gross € 2.427,- to € 3.831,- per month (pay scale 10), commensurate with qualifications, with additional holiday and end-of-year bonuses. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
click here to access email