The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2017 Fund Drive.
Job Announcement: Educational Testing Service
Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Educational Testing Service, New Jersey, USA
Educational Testing Service
|Job Location:||New Jersey, USA|
|Title:||Research Director NLP and Speech Processing|
NLP and Speech Processing
The Research Director of the Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Speech Group leads 26 scientists and engineers in the research and development of innovative technologies to improve assessment. The Director also leads research that encourages the appropriate use of these technologies in operational settings and advances the state of the art in NLP and speech processing research in the education domain.
The Director is responsible for conceptualizing and pursuing a research agenda of fundamental and applied research in NLP and speech processing that will address current needs and anticipate future needs of education and assessment. This includes the development of technologies too.
The Director will assume responsibility for the enhancement of a variety of existing ETS technologies that include e-rater, c-rater, and SpeechRater, as well as the development of fundamentally new systems and methods.
The Director will also be responsible for leading efforts to expand the use of ETS NLP and speech technologies. The Director will actively seek out opportunities for operational use of these technologies for both internal and external clients. This includes coordinating with ETS business units to understand market and client needs/trends, develop the necessary research evidence to support operational use, and establish procedures for the transition of research technologies to production environments.
- Conceptualize, plan, develop, coordinate, and obtain funding for integrated programs of research related to the development, evaluation, deployment and operational monitoring educational technologies based on natural language processing, speech processing, and machine learning.
- Participate in determining research policies and priorities with broad organizational implications. Serve on policy and planning committees.
- Generate or contribute to new or modified research methodology and procedures related to educational applications of NLP, speech processing and machine learning, including in the areas of automated scoring, support for test development, test security and novel assessment environments.
- Coordinate the development of proposals and budgets, both internally and in response to requests for proposals from external clients. Identify potential funding agencies.
- Design and conduct complex scientific studies functioning as an expert in the major facets of the programs.
- Direct the scientific, financial and administrative conduct of major research, development, or large-scale analysis projects, exercising well-developed skills in the management of human and other resources.
- Implement dissemination activities utilizing various methodologies to reach specific audiences.
- Initiate, develop, promote and maintain professional relationships as representative, consultant or advisor to external advisory or policy boards and councils, research organizations, educational institutions and educators.
Experience and Skills
Education, Certifications, or Special Licenses:
- A Doctoral degree in computer science, computational linguistics, linguistics, electrical engineering, or a related field.
- Eight years of independent research experience providing evidence of continuing and substantial contributions to a field of study are necessary, with experience managing research staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including public speaking, interpersonal and public relations skills, and writing and editing skills.
click here to access email