Job Announcement: Wireless Generation
Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Wireless Generation, New York, USA
|Job Location:||New York, USA|
Please note: the application URL has been modified.
Wireless Generation creates innovative tools, systems and services that help
educators teach with excellence. With its solutions, educators can easily
apply research-based, proven practices such as frequent progress monitoring
and needs diagnosis, data-informed decision-making, differentiated
instruction, and professional collaborations across classrooms, grades, and
schools. The company has helped educators address and solve some of the
most pressing challenges in teaching and learning. Wireless Generation
currently serves more than 200,000 educators and three million students.
Title: Computational Linguist
The Computational Linguist will work as a key member of Wireless
Generation's Automated Reasoning team. The Automated Reasoning team is
tasked with researching, prototyping, and evaluating algorithmic approaches
to the scoring of all forms of student work, be it written compositions,
constructed responses, activity in micro worlds and games, as well as more
traditional exercise tasks. The computational linguist will assist in evaluating
and selecting among existing commercial NLP systems and in developing
novel text evaluation and scoring algorithms. The work involves all aspect of
typical NLP applications, such as constructing digital corpora; building
processing pipelines from raw text to complex linguistic representations;
analyzing and annotating those representations with respect to educational
goals; implementing, evaluating and revising supervised or unsupervised
scoring algorithms. In addition, the computational linguist will explore new
forms of proficiency measurement that are enabled by machine scoring.
Responsibilities of the Computational Linguist:
- Evaluate commercial and open-source text analysis systems, with
particular focus on automatic essay scoring (AES) systems.
- Develop precise characterizations of novel linguistic scoring tasks and
develop annotation schemes.
- Research, prototype and evaluate tools for novel scoring tasks.
- Construct digital corpora for a wide variety of tasks.
- Work closely with internal and external software development teams to
support the implementation of NLP scoring tools in production-grade software.
- Develop and maintain expertise in the current state of the art of NLP
methods and technologies.
- Create and write research papers and presentations, for internal and
- Provide generalized expertise in language and linguistics to the curriculum
Requirements of the Computational Linguist:
- PhD (preferred) or MA/MSc in Linguistics or Computer Science. A Master's
level candidate must hold a degree focused on computational linguistics (e.g.
as an area of specialization within a degree in Linguistics.)
- 3+ years of experience developing software, either commercially or within
publicly-visible open source projects.
- Fluency of the English language is a must.
- Proficiency in at least one other natural language, preferably Spanish.
- Strong programming knowledge: minimally Java and Python, preferably
also a modern JVM language (Scala, Clojure), Prolog, and C/C++.
- Teaching experience is a plus.
This position may be funded, in whole or in part, through American Recovery
& Reinvestment Act funds
Wireless Generation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
|Application Deadline:||Open until filled|
click here to access email