LINGUIST List Job Announcement Policies
- Job Submission Policies
- Student Support and Internships
- Job Announcements
- Removing a Job Announcement
- Revising a Job Announcement
- Rates and Payment
- Redistribution of Job Announcements
- Contact Us
- Announcements must be submitted via web form. Announcements sent by email, mail, or fax will not be accepted.
- Because our audience consists of academic and professional linguists, we only announce jobs that are directly relevant to the fields of linguistics or for which linguists are particularly qualified. Announcements which are not linguistically related will not be accepted.
- If your job announcement concerns the availability of multiple positions with different ranks, each of these positions must be submitted as separate announcements; however, multiple positions with the same job title and rank may be submitted as a single announcement.
- The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have neither the right nor the means to enforce these standards internationally.
- Please note that the LINGUIST List does not serve as an intermediary between the employer and the job applicant and does not accept application materials or listings of persons available for employment. Application dossiers and responses to positions must be made to the contact names specified in the announcement.
- Made available as a web page on the LINGUIST List site.
- Sent out by email to our 25,000+ subscribers.
- Included in our searchable jobs database.
Job Submission Policies
Announcements of grants, tuition pay, or stipends that allow students to pursue a degree while working on specific research projects or at specific job positions, such as PhD fellowships, should be submitted to the Support area of LINGUIST List. Paid or unpaid positions that allow students to gain work experience but do not lead to a degree should be submitted to the Internships area of LINGUIST List.
After submission, each job announcement is approved by a LINGUIST List job editor. If clarification is needed on some points of the job announcement, the editor may contact the submitter for more information. Each job submission is addressed within 48 hours of submission. If the job announcement is approved, it will be posted to the LINGUIST List.
Once posted, the job announcement will be:
As a publication registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, The LINGUIST List (ISSN: 1068-4075) is prohibited from alteration or removal of published, archived material, including job announcements. However, the advertised position can be marked as filled. Once marked as filled, the job announcement will still remain in our digital archive, but will no longer be included among listings as "active."
While issues once posted cannot be updated, changes can be made to the database listings on our site, and updated versions of announcements can be posted. Please contact our jobs editors directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to make corrections or wish to send an updated version of your job announcement.
Please do not submit corrections or updates via our web form.
We charge a flat fee of $125 USD to post an announcement. A $30 USD late fee will be applied if payment is not received within 90 days of submission. At the end of the job submission process, you will have an opportunity to choose your payment method.
We accept a variety of different payment options including credit card (Visa or Mastercard only), wire transfer, and payment by mail. Please refer to the payment information page for more information on payment options.
Sites offering free access may redistribute LINGUIST List job announcements, as long as LINGUIST List is properly credited for the information.
Harvesting and redistribution by commercial enterprises, for commercial purposes of any kind, is prohibited.
If you have any other questions about the web form, the job announcement submission process, updating a previously submitted announcement, or if you wish to mark your position as filled, please contact the jobs editors directly at email@example.com