Personal Directory Information
|Name:||Karen Steffen Chung (IPA: kɛɹən stɛfən ʈʂɔŋ)|
|Institution:||National Taiwan University|
|Email:||click here to access email|
|State and/or Country:||Taiwan|
|Specialty:||Pronunciation, prosody, pedagogy, European languages|
|Selected Publications:||1. Chapter 10: 'East Asian linguistics,' of The Oxford Handbook of the History of Linguistics. Keith, Allan, ed. New York: Oxford University Press USA, 2013.
2. 'Putting Blends in their Place.' Presentation at the Universals and Typology in Word-Formation Conference, organised by Department of British and American Studies, Faculty of Arts, P. J. Šafárik University in Košice
3. 'Hypercorrection in Taiwan Mandarin'
4. 'Some Returned Loans: Japanese Loanwords in Taiwan Mandarin'
5. 'Contraction and Backgrounding in Taiwan Mandarin'
6. 'Verb + Noun Function-describing Compounds'
7. 'Ally McBeal in the English Classroom' (in Chinese)
8. 'Teaching English in Rhyme' (in Chinese)
9. Children's Book: A Family in Taiwan (Lerner Publications)
10. Chapter in 1989 Republic of China Yearbook: 'Language'
11. Dissertation: Mandarin Compound Verbs. Taipei: Crane's, 2006.
12. Series of 18 articles on pronunciation and phonetics for English learners, in Chinese, for the bimonthly Hello! ET published Cave's English Teaching. Jan-Feb 2012-Nov-Dec 2014.
|Announced on LINGUIST :||
Mandarin Compound Verbs
|Reviewed on LINGUIST :||
Mandarin Compound Verbs
|Courses Taught:||Introduction to Phonetics
Introduction to Linguistics
English Listening and Pronunciation
National Taiwan University Open Course Ware course: Introduction to Phonetics; free streaming or download here:
Radio and Internet: Co-host of
Ivy League Analytical English
|Dissertation Abstract:||Mandarin Compound Verbs|
Morphology/Semantics: Lieber (2004)
(LL Issue 16.1387)
A Survey of Word Accentual Patterns in the Languages of the World (LL Issue 23.1573)
Review of Saussure (LL Issue 5.518)
Phonology: Watt (1994) (LL Issue 9.847)
Language Description/Historical Linguistics/Syntax: Shi (2002) (LL Issue 14.458)
Phonetics: Alexander (1994) (LL Issue 8.1499)
Phonetics/Applied Linguistics: Teschner & Whitley (2004) (LL Issue 15.2199)
Lexical Creativity, Texts and Contexts (LL Issue 19.3675)
Essays on Nominal Determination (LL Issue 22.400)
Morphology: Packard (2000) (LL Issue 12.844)
Wortbildung der deutschen Gegenwartssprache [Word Formation in Contemporary German] (LL Issue 24.4755)
|Add to Linguist Directory||Update your entry|