The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
Personal Directory Information
|Name:||Lal Zimman (IPA: lɑl 'zɪmņ)|
|Institution:||University of Colorado at Boulder|
|Email:||click here to access email|
|State and/or Country:||
|Specialty:||Sociophonetics; Language, Gender & Sexuality|
|Selected Publications:||• Booknote on 'Culture and Gender of Voice Pitch: A Sociophonetic Comparison of the Japanese and Americans,' Ikuko Patricia Yuasa (forthcoming).
• 'Female-to-male transsexuals and gay-sounding voices: A pilot study.'
• 'Biology, socialization, and identity: Accounting for the voices of female-to-male transsexuals' (extended abstract).
• 'Language, embodiment, and the 'third sex.'
• 'The other kind of coming out': Transgender people and the coming out narrative genre.
• Review of 'Speaking Out: The Female Voice in Public Contexts,' Judith Baxter, ed.
Work in progress:
• 'Trans men and gay-sounding voices: The necessity of gender, sexuality, identity, and socialization.'
• 'Queerest of the queer? Retheorizing binaries in language, gender, and sexuality.'
• 'The discursive construction of sex: Talk about embodiment among transsexual men.'
|Courses Taught:||Language in U.S. Society
Language and Gender
Language and Culture
World Language Policies
Linguistics Service Learning Program in Literacy
|Dissertation Abstract:||Voices in Transition: Testosterone, Transmasculinity, and the Gendered Voice among Female-to-Male Transgender People|
Ethnographic Fieldwork: A Beginner's Guide
(LL Issue 22.1330)
|Add to Linguist Directory||Update your entry|