Personal Directory Information
|Name:||Lal Zimman (IPA: lɑl 'zɪmņ)|
|Institution:||University of Colorado at Boulder|
|Email:||click here to access email|
|State and/or Country:||
|Specialty:||Sociophonetics; Language, Gender & Sexuality|
• Booknote on 'Culture and Gender of Voice Pitch: A Sociophonetic Comparison of the Japanese and Americans,' Ikuko Patricia Yuasa (forthcoming).
• 'Female-to-male transsexuals and gay-sounding voices: A pilot study.'
• 'Biology, socialization, and identity: Accounting for the voices of female-to-male transsexuals' (extended abstract).
• 'Language, embodiment, and the 'third sex.'
• 'The other kind of coming out': Transgender people and the coming out narrative genre.
• Review of 'Speaking Out: The Female Voice in Public Contexts,' Judith Baxter, ed.
Work in progress:
• 'Trans men and gay-sounding voices: The necessity of gender, sexuality, identity, and socialization.'
• 'Queerest of the queer? Retheorizing binaries in language, gender, and sexuality.'
• 'The discursive construction of sex: Talk about embodiment among transsexual men.'
Language in U.S. Society
Language and Gender
Language and Culture
World Language Policies
Linguistics Service Learning Program in Literacy
|Dissertation Abstract:||Voices in Transition: Testosterone, Transmasculinity, and the Gendered Voice among Female-to-Male Transgender People|
Ethnographic Fieldwork: A Beginner's Guide
(LL Issue 22.1330)
|Add to Linguist Directory||Update your entry|