It was about one and a half years ago that I finally I arrived where I had always wanted to be and do what I had always wanted-- teach students, support small language communities and conduct research on African languages on my doorstep. The University of Cape Town and my new colleagues welcomed my efforts to establish the Centre for African Language Diversity-- CALDi as well as The African Language Archive-- TALA and I was recently appointed the Mellon Research Chair: African Language Diversity this initiative. The main aim of CALDi is to train young African scholars in descriptive linguistics and open up space for research into African languages at UCT with the hopes of countering the dominance of African linguistics outside the continent. It has been a great challenge for which my whole career has been a form of preparation...Read more
The Cambridge Handbook of Communication Disorders examines the full range of developmental and acquired communication disorders and provides the most up-to-date and comprehensive guide to the epidemiology, aetiology and clinical features of these disorders.
At War with Diversity: U.S. Language Policy in an Age of Anxiety
KEY SELLING POINTS
- Offers a direct and analytical approach to the problems of US language policy
- Provides an historical perspective to explain what is at stake
- Articles were written at different times, from different vantage points
Bilingualism is a reality that many Americans still find difficult to accept; hence the prominence of English-only activism in U.S. politics. This collection of essays analyzes the sources of the anti-bilingual movement, its changing directions, and its impact on education policy.
The book also explores efforts to resist the English-only trend, including projects to revitalize Native American languages.
1. Anatomy of the English Only Movement
2. Boom to Bust: Official English in the 1990s
3. Endangered Native American Languages: What is to be done, and why?
4. Seven Hypotheses on language Loss
5. The Political Paradox of Bilingual Education
6. The Proposition 227 campaign: A Post Mortem
References; Acknowledgements; Index