"Buenos dias", "buenas noches" -- this was the first words in a foreign language I heard in my life, as a three-year old boy growing up in developing post-war Western Germany, where the first gastarbeiters had arrived from Spain. Fascinated by the strange sounds, I tried to get to know some more languages, the only opportunity being TV courses of English and French -- there was no foreign language education for pre-teen school children in Germany yet in those days. Read more
To find some answers Tim Machan explores the language's present and past, and looks ahead to its futures among the one and a half billion people who speak it. His search is fascinating and important, for definitions of English have influenced education and law in many countries and helped shape the identities of those who live in them.
This volume provides a new perspective on the evolution of the special language of medicine, based on the electronic corpus of Early Modern English Medical Texts, containing over two million words of medical writing from 1500 to 1700.
At War with Diversity: U.S. Language Policy in an Age of Anxiety
KEY SELLING POINTS
- Offers a direct and analytical approach to the problems of US language policy
- Provides an historical perspective to explain what is at stake
- Articles were written at different times, from different vantage points
Bilingualism is a reality that many Americans still find difficult to accept; hence the prominence of English-only activism in U.S. politics. This collection of essays analyzes the sources of the anti-bilingual movement, its changing directions, and its impact on education policy.
The book also explores efforts to resist the English-only trend, including projects to revitalize Native American languages.
1. Anatomy of the English Only Movement
2. Boom to Bust: Official English in the 1990s
3. Endangered Native American Languages: What is to be done, and why?
4. Seven Hypotheses on language Loss
5. The Political Paradox of Bilingual Education
6. The Proposition 227 campaign: A Post Mortem
References; Acknowledgements; Index