Building on the success of the bestselling first edition, the second
edition of this textbook provides a comprehensive and accessible
introduction to the major issues in Principles and Parameters syntactic
theory, including phrase structure, the lexicon, case theory, movement, and
- Includes new and extended problem sets in every chapter, all of which
have been annotated for level and skill type.
- Features three new chapters on advanced topics including vP shells,
object shells, control, gapping and ellipsis and an additional chapter on
advanced topics in binding.
- Offers a brief survey of both Lexical-Functional Grammar and Head-Driven
Phrase Structure Grammar.
- Succeeds in strengthening the reader's foundational knowledge, and
prepares them for more advanced study.
- Supported by an instructor's manual and online resources for students and
instructors, available at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/carnie
"This book is a perfect example of how sophisticated syntactic concepts can
be presented in a genuinely reader friendly way. The syntax student is led
carefully through argumentation to current syntactic theory and at the end
has a clear understanding not only of the whats of syntax but also the
whys." - Lisa deMena Travis, McGill University