"Buenos dias", "buenas noches" -- this was the first words in a foreign language I heard in my life, as a three-year old boy growing up in developing post-war Western Germany, where the first gastarbeiters had arrived from Spain. Fascinated by the strange sounds, I tried to get to know some more languages, the only opportunity being TV courses of English and French -- there was no foreign language education for pre-teen school children in Germany yet in those days. Read more
To find some answers Tim Machan explores the language's present and past, and looks ahead to its futures among the one and a half billion people who speak it. His search is fascinating and important, for definitions of English have influenced education and law in many countries and helped shape the identities of those who live in them.
This volume provides a new perspective on the evolution of the special language of medicine, based on the electronic corpus of Early Modern English Medical Texts, containing over two million words of medical writing from 1500 to 1700.
Studies in Variation, Contacts and Change in English 13
A selection of the papers at the 31st annual conference of the International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English (ICAME), this volume includes 13 papers that represent the strong interest at ICAME 31 in Outer Circle varieties of English and learner Englishes. The papers are theoretical as well as descriptive in orientation and provide a significant contribution to corpus linguistics and research into non-native Englishes from a variationist perspective. The papers address three main themes:
(1) The first six papers in the volume investigate different varieties of English, from English as a Native Language, over English as a Second Language to English as an International Language.
(2) The following four contributions examine English as a Foreign Language in the workspace and the learning environment.
(3) The last three articles focus on translation corpora.
* Georg Maier
* Andrea Sand
* Tobias Bernaisch
* Stephanie Hackert, Dagmar Deuber, Carolin Biewer & Michaela Hilbert
* Gerold Schneider & Lena Zipp
* Ruth Osimk-Teasdale
* Federico Gaspari
* Nikoletta Rapti
* Stefanie Dose
* Sandra Götz
* Anne-Line Graedler
* Signe Oksefjell Ebeling
* Thomas Egan