English Sentence Analysis: An introductory course is designed as a 10-week course for students of English Language and Literature, Linguistics, or other language related fields. In 10 weeks the student will be proficient in English analysis at sentence, clause and phrase level and have a solid understanding of the traditional terms and concepts of English syntax. This introduction prepares for practical courses in grammar and writing skills and for theoretical courses in syntactic argumentation.
The package consists of a Course Book with 8 Chapters and a CD-Rom with the Practice Program.
The Course Book shows
- sentence structures in clear graphics;
- Contains logically structured chapters with Introductions and Summaries;
- Provides exercises with quotations and excerpts from English, American and Australian literature and pop songs.
The Practice Program
- contains over 800 exercises;
- over 700 authentic quotations and excerpts from literature and popular music to analyze;
- detailed feedback with hyperlinks to theoretical explanations;
- a comprehensive theory module;
- an on-screen score count;
- adapts to the individual student's problem areas. "English Sentence Analysis: An introductory course" has been classroom tested at various universities. The students seem to enjoy the 'dreaded' syntax course and pass rates have gone up significantly from 50 to 70%. The Practice Program is based on Hologram, designed and adapted by the University of Groningen, Fac. of Arts, Centre for ICT and Learning. A network version is being developed. EXAMINATION COPIES AVAILABLE