Formal Semantics: The Essential Readings is a collection of seminal papers
that have shaped the field of formal semantics in linguistics.
Introduction: Paul Portner and Barbara Partee.
1. The Proper Treatment of uantification in Ordinary English: Richard Montague.
2. A Unified Analysis of the English Bare Plural: Greg Carlson.
3. Generalized uantifiers and Natural Language: Jon Barwise and Robin Cooper.
4. The Logical Analysis of Plurals and Mass Terms: Godehard Link.
5. Assertion: Robert C. Stalnaker.
6. Scorekeeping in a Language Game: David Lewis.
7. Adverbs of uantification: David Lewis.
8. A Theory of Truth and Semantic Representation: Hans Kamp.
9. File Change Semantics and the Familiarity Theory of Definiteness: Irene
10. On the Projection Problem for Presuppositions: Irene Heim.
11. Toward a Semantic Analysis of Verb Aspect and the English
'Imperfective' Progressive: David R. Dowty.
12. The National Category of Modality: Angelika Kratzer.
13. The Algebra of Events: Emmon Bach.
14. Generalized Conjunction and Type Ambiguity: Barbara Partee and Mats Rooth.
15. Noun Phrase Interpretation and Type Shifting Principles: Barbara H. Partee.
16. Syntax and Semantics of uestions: Lauri Karttunen.
17. Type-Shifting Rules and the Semantics of Interrogatives: Jeroen
Groenendijk and Martin Stokhof.
18. On the Notion Affective in the Analysis of Negative-Polarity Items:
William A. Ladusaw.