Resources on Semantic Analysis in Perceptual Dialectology
|Submitter Email:||click here to access email|
My name is Sven and I am currently writing my M.A. thesis on the topic of perceptual dialectology – Non-linguists perception of dialects in Germany and America.
I gathered about 80 questionnaires in order to analyze them with regard to
1. Dialect boundaries
2. Associated semantic features (such as unique words, phonetic descriptions, stereotypical labeling etc.)
Thus, I am in need of American or English studies which include the analysis of semantic content. I have found two studies:
1. Mary Bucholtz et al. (2007). “Hella Nor Cal or Totally So Cal? The Perceptual Dialectology of California.” In Journal of English Linguistics (35)4: 325-352.
2. Fought, Carmen (2002). “California Students´Perception of, You Know, Regions and Dialects?” in Daniel Long and Dennis R. Preston, eds., Handbook of Perceptual Dialectology, Vol.II. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing: 113-133.
I hope somebody can give me an answer to the following questions:
1. Does anybody know any further studies on this aspect?
2. If not, why has this field of research been neglected so far?
Sums main page