Q:on Zhang1san1 zhui2lei4 le li3si4
|Author:||Jiun shiung Wu|
|Submitter Email:||click here to access email|
I have been working on some probelms of the meanings of ''even if'',
especially the following so-called consequent-entailment reading of
''even if''. Please help me check the accptablities of the following
Are the following sentences acceptable or have natural flow of
interpretation? Please put OK, ? or * in each slot and comments, if
any. If the sentences you judge are unacceptable, what kind of context
would you consider to increase the acceptabilities?
(1) ( ) (Context: My employer is so puritanical that he would fire
me if I behaved in what he considered a libertine manner. ) ''Even if''
my wife smoked cigarettes, he would fire me, but, since she wouldn't
ever smoke, he won't fire me.
(2) ( ) ''Even if'' you drink just a little, your boss will fire you,
but, since you sruely won't drink at all, he won't fire you.
(3) ( ) ''Even if'' you drink just a little, your boss will fire you,
butsince you surely drink a lot, he won't fire you.
(4) ( ) If it doesn' rain, the game will continue. ''Even if'' it
rains lightly, the game will continue; but if it rains heavily, the
rain will be cancelled.
(5) ( ) If it doesn't rain, the game will continue. ''Even if''it
rains lightly, the game will be cancelled; but if it rains heavily,
the game will continue.
(6) ( ) ''Even if'' the president were to get ingestion tonight, the
cease-fire would end, but, if we resume negotiations with the enemy
for a treaty of peace, it will continue.
(7) ( ) ''Even if'' my wife smoked cigarettes, I would not scold her,
but, if she ever broke my favorite dishes, I would scold her.
(8) ( ) ''Even if'' my wife smokes cigarettes, I will not scold her,
but,if she breaks my favorite dishes, I will scold her.
Thank a lot in advance. I will post a summary. Please give a reply
to me directly.
Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences
Tokushima University, Japan
phone & fax: +81 886 56 7125
Sums main page