Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

New from Oxford University Press!


Oxford Handbook of Corpus Phonology

Edited by Jacques Durand, Ulrike Gut, and Gjert Kristoffersen

Offers the first detailed examination of corpus phonology and serves as a practical guide for researchers interested in compiling or using phonological corpora

New from Cambridge University Press!


The Languages of the Jews: A Sociolinguistic History

By Bernard Spolsky

A vivid commentary on Jewish survival and Jewish speech communities that will be enjoyed by the general reader, and is essential reading for students and researchers interested in the study of Middle Eastern languages, Jewish studies, and sociolinguistics.

New from Brill!


Indo-European Linguistics

New Open Access journal on Indo-European Linguistics is now available!

Query Details

Query Subject:   Q: Term(s) for V-0
Author:   Ivan A Derzhanski
Submitter Email:  click here to access email

Query:   Is there a more or less commonly accepted term in English for
a vowel that alternates with zero, as the /o/ in Russian _rot_
`mouth', pl. _rty_? I've seen `fugitive' (a literal translation
of Russian _beglaja [glasnaja]_), `unstable' (which could, however,
mean other things as well) and `movable' (which seems better suited
for a segment undergoing metathesis than deletion). What term(s)
do people prefer?

Also, I seem to have come across the term `evanescent' used for the
same purpose, but can't remember where. Does it exist, or am I
misremembering something?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan A Derzhanski
Dept for Math Lx, Inst for Maths & CompSci, Bulg Acad of Sciences

LL Issue: 14.3103
Date posted: 13-Nov-2003


Sums main page