meaning of pitch in music and speech
|Submitter Email:||click here to access email|
A while ago I asked about references to literature regarding unified analyses of the meaning of pitch in music and speech. Many thanks to all those who responded! -- the summary of their replies is attached below. Admittedly, the references do not exactly address what I had in mind but they are still very interesting!
University of Amsterdam
from Suzette Haden Elgin:
- check out literature on pitch and emotions, e.g., the literature of trial law -- in the legal journals, where there has been research about the effects of intonation (largely the effects of acoustic stress, heard as higher pitch) in the speech of judges, jurors, etc.; or the literature of aviation and aerospace medicine, where until very recently the physical/emotional state of a pilot might have to be determined on the basis of spoken language alone; and finally, a search in the literature of psychoacoustics (for instance the work of Diana Deutsch) could give some useful sources.
from Shinji Ido:
- Hughes, David W. 2000. No nonsense: the logic and power of acoustic-iconic mnemonic systems. British Journal of Ethnomusicology, 9/2. 95-122.
- RWCP Autonomous Learning Functions MRI Laboratory. 2003. Non-speech Sound Recognition Using Japanese Onomatopoeia (1997-1998). ON 2003/05/20.
from Mike Cahill:
- an article at http://www.sil.org/anthro/articles/proverbs/notes.htm on talking drums in northern Ghana.
from Steven Cushing:
- a reference to his article ''English as a Tone Language: The Acoustics of Primary Stress,'' MIT Research Laboratory of Electronics Quarterly Progress Report No. 92, January 1969, where he discusses the difference between acoustic frequency and pitch in linguistic vs. non-linguistic heard sound.
from Maartje Schreuder:
- Lerdahl, F. & R. Jackendoff (1983). A Generative Theory of Tonal Music. The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, London, England.
- an article by Dicky Gilbers and herself (and references therein), which can be downloaded from http://odur.let.rug.nl/~schreudr/papers.htm .
from Ross Forman:
- Deryck Cooke's book The Meaning of Music (OUP 1959)
|Original Query:||Read original query|
Sums main page