Possible Book in Coptic
|Submitter Email:||click here to access email|
Regarding query http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-3228.html
Thanks everyone for your replies on my query as to what this book was! I've received lots of information and I've been told that it's customary for me to follow-up and let you know what I've found out.
- I received confirmation from several respondants that it is *not* written in Coptic.
- The book is written in Ethiopic, more precisely Ge'ez or Amharic (if more recent)- the language of Christian Ethiopians. Several of you have sent me this website where I could see for myself: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ethiopic.htm
- According to just one respondant, this is one of the ''Magic Books'' which is the ''Ehtiopian Bndlet of Righteousness''. E.A.W.Budge has made an English translation which I will hunt down. I managed to find a photo of it online and it is very similar to mine - though it is written on parchment and not leather (don't know if this distinction matters): http://www.hmml.org/20040210_Archive/resources/EthiopiaExhibit/Bandlet.html
- Acoording to another respondant, this is a syllabary and a couple of others have told me that it's a Lithurgical text (this information does not necessarily conflict or agree with the previous statement)
- I received a recommendation to contact a German scholar who has written a book in Ge'ez - which I will contact.
- I did get one complaint on the quality of the photos ; ) - sorry I don't have a really steady hand but I will invest in a stand for my digital camera.
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look at the book and comment -- if you have new infromation to share please feel free to send it to me!
|Original Query:||Read original query|
Sums main page