|Title:||Reasonable Research Standards|
|Description:||My College is currently in the process of writing Disciplinary Standards
for reappointment, tenure and promotion. I have not been able to find
anywhere in writing what are generally considered reasonable expectations
for research (conferences and publications) for different types of
institutions. Specifically, my questions are:
1. What rate of publication (1 article a year, 2, more? A book?) is
considered reasonable at a Class I research institution, with a 1/1, 1/2,
2/2 teaching load of mostly graduate courses?
2. What rate of publication (1 article a year, 2, more? A book?) is
considered reasonable at a liberal arts college with a 3/3 or 4/4 teaching
load of exclusively undergraduate courses, with advising and other
3. Do expectations vary widely depending on the particular subfield of
4. What constitutes a normal rejection rate for a first or second tier
5. Do publications in refereed selected linguistics conference proceedings
generally carry as much weight as publications in refereed journals?
I would be happy to post a summary of any responses received. Thank you.