The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
The Department of Linguistics at the University of Newcastle (Australia) in collaboration with Harvard University’s Polinsky Language Sciences Lab is offering two PhD scholarships to suitably qualified international applicants to work on a project investigating ergativity in languages of the Western Solomon Islands.
The successful applicants will be based in the University of Newcastle’s Endangered Languages Documentation, Theory and Application Research Group (www.newcastle.edu.au/school/hss/research/groups/ELDTA-Group), and will spend at least one semester at Harvard’s Polinsky Language Sciences Lab (pollab.fas.harvard.edu/). Their PhD research will be jointly supervised by Newcastle’s Dr Bill Palmer and Harvard’s Professor Maria Polinsky. Some fieldwork in the Solomon Islands will be required.
We anticipate that the successful applicants will meet the following criteria:
- Solid undergraduate training in general linguistics, with a priority in syntax
- Interest in syntactic theory and correspondences across different frameworks (minimalism, HPSG, LFG, categorical grammar etc)
- Interest in linguistic fieldwork
- Interest in experimental approaches to language study, knowledge of statistics and experimental design
- Ability to work independently and develop new hypotheses on the basis of existing data
A generous package of scholarship benefits is offered including (all figures in Australian dollars):
- Stipend - $29,653 per annum tax free (including $24,653 standard stipend + $5,000 top-up), indexed annually
- Tuition fee scholarship: $19,960 per annum indexed annually
- Relocation allowance: $1,520
- Establishment allowance: $500
- Thesis allowance: $500
- Research support allowance: $6,000
- Overseas Student Health Cover: In 2013, 3.5 years equates to;
* $2,002 for single cover (scholar only)
* $4,977 for dual cover (scholar and spouse)
* $6,470 for family cover (scholar, spouse and any dependants)
These scholarship positions will remain open until filled. However, early applications are encouraged to ensure that they can be considered while positions remain available. Prospective applicants should contact Dr Bill Palmer (bill.palmer newcastle.edu.au) by email, attaching a one page statement of research interests, a current CV, scans of academic transcripts; and the names of two academic referees.
|Application Mailing Address:||Dr Bill Palmer email@example.com Newcastle NSW 2308 Australia|
|Contact Information:||Dr Bill Palmer firstname.lastname@example.org|