E-mail this message to a friend
Sociolinguistics Language of Islam, Arabism, Russian Orthodox Church
University of Amsterdam/Leiden University
Institute for Culture and History (ICH)/Leiden University Center for Linguistics (LUCL)
The Institute for Culture and History of the University of Amsterdam and the Leiden University Center for Linguistics have currently two vacant PhD positions (full-time, four years) as part of the joint NWO project The Russian Language of Islam, supervised by Prof. Dr. Michael Kemper and Prof. Dr. Jos Schaeken. Applications are now invited from excellent candidates who wish to conduct research on the discourse of Muslim authorities, scholars and intellectuals in the contemporary Russian Federation.
The goal is to investigate the role of the Russian language in this Islamic discourse, the way how the Russian language changes in the process (development of a religious sociolect?), the interferences of other languages (esp. Arabic and/or Turkic languages), and language strategies of actors in the discourse. Working language will be English.
Project 1: 'Arabism': Sufi and Dogmatic Discourses in Russia (vacancy number: 13-307 Kemper).
Project 2: The Language of Islam and the Russian Orthodox Church: Dialog and Mission. (vacancy number: 13-308-Schaeken).
Tasks will Include:
- Completion and defense of a PhD thesis within four years
- Regular presentation of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences, and publications in proceedings and journals
- Close collaboration with the other researchers of the group (including on issues not directly connected to one’s own PhD project, incl. the organization of conferences and joint publications)
- Assisting in teaching activities
- Participation in the training program of the Graduate School for Humanities
- A Master's degree (or equivalent) with excellent grades in a relevant field, such as Slavic studies, Eastern European history, Islamic studies, Arabic studies, Turkology, anthropology
- Good academic writing and presentation skills
- Good social and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Russian and, preferably, skills in Arabic or a Turkic language, plus an interest in religions in Russia (incl. the Russian Orthodox Church)
Please contact Prof. Dr. Michael Kemper to discuss your plans before applying formally. We will then send you a working paper that gives you further information about the general goals of the project.
All information on the appointment can be found at the Web Address for Application below.
The preferred starting date of the contract is 1 January 2014 (can be negotiated). The gross monthly salary (on full-time basis) for the position will be €2,083 during the first year (gross per month) to €2,664 during the fourth year, in accordance with the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch universities.
Applications for the PhD position should include:
- A letter of motivation, stating why you want to do this research
- Your ideas about possible focus points of your PhD project
- An up-to-date CV
- A list of grades obtained for your Bachelor and Master (or equivalent) programmes
- Names and contact details of two academic referees
- A writing sample, e.g. a published paper, your MA thesis, or similar
Applications may only be submitted electronically by sending your application to solliciteren2013-FGW uva.nl. Please quote the vacancy number 13-207-Kemper or 13-208-Schaeken in the subject line. Completed applications should be submitted by 23.59 hours (CET) on 1 November 2013. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
|Application Web Address:||http://www.uva.nl/over-de-uva/werken-bij-de-uva/vacatures/nav/type/phd-position/item/13-307.html|
|Contact Information:||Prof. Michael Kemper email@example.com|