E-mail this message to a friend
City University of Hong Kong
Department of English
The Department of English at City University of Hong Kong has an outstanding international faculty, with world-renowned scholars in the fields of applied linguistics and language education, discourse analysis, literary and cultural studies, professional communication and sociolinguistics. The Department is ranked 42nd in the world and 5th in Asia in English language and literature, according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) world ranking by subject 2013. The Department admits postgraduate students with research interests in fields relevant to the Department’s areas of expertise. Our programmes focus on a wide range of interdisciplinary theories and perspectives drawn from relevant domains in the social and behavioural sciences, the humanities and related professional fields.
The Department offers two types of scholarship:
1. Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
The Fellowship provides a monthly stipend of HK$20,000 (~US$2,564) and conference and research related travel allowance of HK$10,000 (~US$1,282) per year for the awardees for a maximum period of three years. Students also receive an entrance scholarship (around HK$66,100) which covers students’ full-time tuition fees and on-campus hostel accommodation expenses in their first year of research studies.
2. Postgraduate studentships: General admission
These are financed by the Hong Kong government. Separate applications for general admission are not required. Applicants should apply for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme. The studentship rate is currently HK$14,400* (~US$1,840) per month for PhD students.
Research areas in the Department include:
1. Applied Linguistics and Language Education: identity, intercultural communication, language policy and planning, pedagogical grammar, second language acquisition, second language writing, and self-access learning.
2. Discourse Analysis: conversation analysis, corpus-assisted discourse analysis, critical discourse analysis, genre analysis, mediated discourse analysis, multimodal discourse analysis, pragmatics, semiotics, and text analysis.
3. Language, Technology, and Media: computer-assisted language learning, digital literacies, language and mobile communication, and online discourse.
4. Literary and Cultural Studies: aesthetics, Asian diaspora literature, Asian writing in English, children's literature, colonial and postcolonial literature, contemporary literature, creativity, creative writing, fashion studies, narrative studies, popular culture, and Victorian literature.
5. Professional Communication: business communication, English for specific purposes, health and risk communication, language and law, persuasive communication, and rhetoric of science.
Application deadline: December 10, 2013
An excellent Master’s or Bachelor’s degree from an internationally recognized university. For applicants whose first language is not English an appropriate score in one of the following tests: TOEFL, including the Test of Written English (TWE), candidates should score a minimum of 630 (paper), 267 (computer), or 109 (Internet). For the IELTS test, candidates should score a minimum of 7.5 (with no module under 7.0).
For further information, please visit:
|Application Mailing Address:||Christopher Jenks Department of English City University of Hong Kong Kowloon Tong Hong Kong Hong Kong|
|Contact Information:||Christopher Jenks email@example.com|