E-mail this message to a friend
Leiden University, Center for Linguistics
The Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL), the institute of linguistics at the Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University, is hosting a 5 year research programme entitled “Understanding Questions” (http://media.leidenuniv.nl/legacy/understanding-questions.pdf) funded by the Dutch national research council NWO. This project is an integrated study of the syntax-semantics, prosody and processing of in-situ wh-questions in French and Mandarin. There are three subprojects, one on the syntax-semantics aspects of these questions, one on the prosodic aspects and one on the processing aspects.
We are looking for a PhD student to carry out the subproject “Revisiting the syntax and semantics of in-situ wh-questions” (4 years, 1.0 fte starting in February 2014).
Vacancy number: 13-297
- A Master’s degree in Linguistics, in particular in syntax and/or semantics (completion of the MA thesis before the PhD project starts).
- An interest in psycholinguistics.
- A curious, enterprising and creative mind and excellent analytical skills, evidence of which should emerge from the MA thesis.
- Good writing skills.
- A very good and demonstrable command of English.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of French and/or Mandarin Chinese is desirable.
Duties and responsibilities:
Conduct original research on the following topics:
- The syntactic and prosodic differences between standard in-situ wh-questions and echo questions
- French in-situ questions vs. fronted questions
- Intervention effects in French and Mandarin
- The processing of intervention effects
- Write a PhD thesis
- Submit research results for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals
- Present papers at (international) conferences
- Teach a course in the second and third year of the appointment
- Organize and participate in reading and discussions groups, seminars, workshops within LUCL.
What we offer:
The employment will be for a period of four years (first a contract of 18 months with an extension of 30 months after positive evaluation of capabilities and compatibility) and must lead to the completion of a PhD thesis. Appointment will be under the terms of the CAO (collective labour agreement) of the Dutch Universities. The gross monthly salary is set on € 2.083,- in the first year up to € 2.664,- gross per month in year four.
For more details on the appointment and our Graduate School, please visit the following URL:
How to apply:
For details on the application procedure, please check:
For further information on this project please contact Lisa Cheng (L.L.Cheng hum.leidenuniv.nl) or Jenny Doetjes (J.Doetjes hum.leidenuniv.nl), or for practical matters Gea Hakker,
Applicants should submit their application before 30 November 2013. Applications should be sent to vacatureslucl hum.leidenuniv.nl, clearly indicating the application number [13-297].
The selection procedure will take place in December, and selected candidates will be invited for an interview in the second half of December 2013. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
|Application Web Address:||http://werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl/vacatures/phd-posities/13-297-phd-student-revisiting-the-syntax.html|
|Contact Information:||Prof. Lisa Cheng L.L.Cheng@hum.leidenuniv.nl|