The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
|Linguistic Field:||General Linguistics|
University of York
Language and Linguistic Science
The Department of Language and Linguistic Science at the University of York has two doctoral programmes, the PhD in Linguistics and the PhD in Language and Communication (http://www.york.ac.uk/language/postgraduate/). We offer the possibility of several doctoral studentships and fellowships funded by:
- AHRC (Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council; preference will be given to applications in the area of advanced quantitative methods in comparative linguistics)
- Wolfson Foundation
Closing date for these: 3 February 2014. You must have been offered an unconditional or conditional place on one of our PhD programmes before this deadline.
Other scholarship opportunities include:
- Scholarship for Overseas Students (SOS)
- Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS)
- Overseas Continuation Scholarship (OCS)
We invite applications in all branches of linguistics, especially in these areas of strength:
- Adult second-language learning, especially psycholinguistic aspects
- Arabic phonetics and sociolinguistics
- Child language learning, especially phonological development
- Conversation Analysis, especially phonetic approaches
- Corpus Linguistics, especially as applied to Historical Linguistics
- Forensic Speech Science
- Historical Linguistics
- Linguistic Typology
- Phonetics and Sociophonetics
- Sociolinguistics, including Language Variation and Change
- Syntax, including quantitative approaches to comparative syntax
Before applying, you should identify a potential supervisor in the Department whose expertise matches your proposed research topic, and you should contact that person in advance. You should then make an application electronically (see website for details). Your application should include a research proposal of 1,500–2,500 words.
At any stage, feel free to seek further advice from Professor Paul Kerswill (PhD in Linguistics) (paul.kerswill york.ac.uk) or Dr Richard Ogden (PhD in Language and Communication) (richard.ogden york.ac.uk).
Further details of the application process can be obtained through our Postgraduate Administrator, Martha Harrold (martha.harrold york.ac.uk).
|Application Web Address:||http://www.york.ac.uk/language/postgraduate/funding/|
|Contact Information:||Martha Harrold email@example.com|