|Specific Language:||Greek, Modern|
University of Macedonia
Educational and Social Policy
A Ph.D. vacancy position has been opened at the University of Macedonia, Greece, in the framework of ‘iCARE’, a European research and training network (Marie Curie ITN) on ‘improving Children’s Auditory Rehabilitation’. iCARE is an international and interdisciplinary consortium from academia, industry and socio-economic agencies. The position is available for 3 years, starting in June 2014 and aims in the completion of a Ph.D. within 4 years. Limited funding may be available in the 4th year.
The aim of Early Stage Researchers (ESR) is to investigate the phono-prosodic cues that underlie the processing of spoken words by profoundly hearing impaired children with cochlear implants (CI).
- Assess the role of speech signal cues on lexical processing by CI children.
- Investigate the acquisition of phonological grammar by CI children in two languages, Greek and another language.
- Develop hierarchies of phono-prosodic cues that facilitate lexical processing.
- Develop e-learning/remote rehabilitation tools for clinical practice and/or parent guidance.
Tasks and methodology:
- Psycholinguistic experiments that involve presentation of controlled speech stimuli, computerized, forced-choice tasks, reaction times and elicited productions.
- Obtaining accuracy ratings and performing acoustic analysis of speech via spectrography.
- Conducting speech and language assessments in young children with CI, working with them in sound-attenuated rooms, making audio recordings.
- Programming and carrying out computerized tasks.
- A Master's level degree (or equivalent) in Communication Disorders, Hearing Impairment, Speech Science or Hearing Science.
- Scientific background in the study of speech, acoustics and phonology
- A vested interest in hearing-impaired children and multi-disciplinary international team work, demonstrated by willingness to move to Salonika, Greece.
- Familiarity with research tools, such as PRAAT, E-Prime or other computerized software for designing psycholinguistic tasks.
- Technical competence for data analysis (Excell, SPSS, Statistica, etc.).
- Excellent command of English language, both in academic writing and in verbal communication. Knowledge of Greek is recommended.
- Research experience in any of the above fields and clinical or other experience in working with children is desirable.
How to apply:
Please send your CV, full contact information for two references and letter of intent to Prof. Areti Okalidou (okalidou uom.gr). Make sure that you obtain a confirmation response upon their receipt. Other documents such as English language proficiency and recommendations may be submitted upon request later on.
|Application Mailing Address:||Prof. Areti Okalidou Dept. of Educational and Social Policy, University of Macedonia Egnatias 156, P.O. 1591 Salonika Salonika 540 06 Greece Tel. : +30-2310-891358.|
|Application Web Address:||http://www.icareitn.eu|
|Contact Information:||Prof. Areti Okalidou email@example.com Phone:+30-2310-891358|